UK IP address
by Alice • Mon 19 Oct 2015 14:11

This question has probably already been covered so forgive me for bringing it up again!
We are soon to move to our house near Ahun, we know that the speed from France Telecom broadband is very slow in that area, not much above dial-up, so we've decided to go down the satellite broadband route. My question is what are the advantages, if any, of going with a system that provides a UK IP address. I'm aware of being able to watch catch-up TV, we have a Freesat box, but how about being able to download kindle books from Amazon UK?
Thanks for any input.

Alice
Jan 2008
Re: UK IP address
by rictel • Mon 19 Oct 2015 19:52

We have satellite broadband , albeit with a French provider. I'm sure you are right that with a UK IP address you can get iplayer to catch up on the uk tv you missed & see no reason ( don't have a kindle ) why you couldn't download kindle books as well. One thing to watch when you sign up is whether you will have a download limit . Even if you don't it is possible that the provider may cut back your download speed if you have some heavy downloads early in the month. Don't forget that if you have a pc that has an operating system to receive automatic updates, that will also eat into your monthly download. I found that out to my cost !!

rictel
Dec 2007
by Dave • Tue 20 Oct 2015 14:05

How do you send data? I assume this is via dial up? That might be an issue if you have to dial a UK number a lot or if you need to upload large files (emailing photos for example) and using interactive services (like on-line gaming and Skype) must be difficult at best and not really any better than with dial-up alone.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Alice • Tue 20 Oct 2015 14:24

Thank for the input, the sat broadband option is 20 Gb download and 2 Gb upload speed so have decided to go with that. Appreciate the suggestion of disabling the automatic updates, both on PC and phone - good tip :)

Alice
Jan 2008
by sabu57 • Tue 20 Oct 2015 17:15

Whilst I cannot speak to the efficacy of satellite broadband, the advantages of having a non location-specific IP address are many and varied. If you have chosen a supplier who gives you a UK IP address, then that is how your location will appear to location-specific sites (BBC, Amazon etc).

If you wish to have greater flexibility, there are several VPN suppliers who will provide you with the ability to adopt various locations. This allows you to watch US content on Netflix and Amazon, for example, and then change to several other locations to access their regional content.

Whilst there are some free VPN services (of varying quality), you may chose to subscribe to a more robust one. I use UnblockUS, which costs c.£2.50 a month. There is a review of its service in the following link, which also gives a good indication what a VPN can be used for.

Unblockus Review

Hope this helps.

sabu57
Apr 2011
by rictel • Tue 20 Oct 2015 21:16

Thank for the input, the sat broadband option is 20 Gb download and 2 Gb upload speed so have decided to go with that. Appreciate the suggestion of disabling the automatic updates, both on PC and phone - good tip :)
Alice
I think perhaps the 20 down & 2 Upload are Mb figures (not Gb ) for the maximum speed available, although in all likelihood the speed will vary depending on the amount of users on the service at the time. The amount of use that you can have will depend on the data quota on the package you choose , i.e. 5Gb, 10Gb, 30Gb etc.

Dave, data is sent the same way via uplink to the satellite & whilst not as fast as the download speed it is considerably faster than dial up , & you don't need a phone line .

rictel
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions