Sky Digibox question
by virtdave • Sun 17 May 2015 17:13

Several years ago I installed a satellite dish and hooked it up to the TV via a Sky Digibox--it has worked fine (a Scottish buddy gave me an old card, so I was able to follow the weather in Glasgow quite well). This year when I tried to turn it on, I got a 'No Signal' message. I tried the stuff recommended in this page, but no better. I do get the guide info, but can't connect to any channels, and I can determine that the signal to the box is OK. Has there been a change in the system over the winter? I guess I can have a friend bring over a new box, but obviously I'd like to get the current one working...in time gone by, it was not possible to get a box sent to France, maybe that has changed (as well?).

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: Sky Digibox question
by Robjelves • Sun 17 May 2015 20:53

Hi Dave. Can't answer that one. Can only presume the card has been blocked or the box is faulty.. I have a spare Sky + box in France that you are welcome to.. We come over again next weekend.
We have Sky HD in England and the + box didn't like our card so we got hold of a second HD box, hence the spare + box.
Depending on location you could try the spare box and if that doesn't work you could try our card in your box...that should cover all bases.
Rob.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Deleted User 1427 • Sun 17 May 2015 21:09

A lady in our village had what sounds like the same problem, (holiday home not used in winter) she was advised to retune everything and it worked.

Deleted User 1427
by virtdave • Sun 17 May 2015 23:49

I'm not sure if the stuff I tried, as per the link in my first post on this thread, included 'retuning', but I think it may have--one of the methods outlined there was an update of the box, which didn't do anything....
Rob, I would be delighted to try your spare box, and can swing by to pick it up next weekend, at your convenience. PM me, or send me an email. Thanks to RobertArthur I've changed the email addy to try to baffle spammers. email is:
virtdave at em cee en dot oh ar gee.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 May 2015 09:44

Virtdave, please do not publish a complete email address in a public forum, remove it ASAP, it will attract spammers. If no other way to communicate it, use something like name at provider.

Regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Mon 18 May 2015 10:33

got it...thanks

virtdave
Sep 2008
by RobertArthur • Mon 18 May 2015 16:36

Trying to outclever spammers & others: change the word email into a more poetic phrase: please send your digital pigeon to my virtual castle.... Probably they'll incorporate medieval language like this in their highly sophisticated search algorithms, next day, next week, next month, next year, but every little bit helps. Wishing and hoping that the innocent reader can catch up with this verbal arms race and doesn't ask to be equipped with an Email Enigma machine and it's codebook......

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Sun 24 May 2015 19:57

major follow-up: I plugged in Rob's box, which I picked up today, and rats!, got the same "no signal" message when I tried to view programs, despite the program guide showing up. So I thought, well what could be the matter? I went out and re-aligned the satellite dish and golly, it worked!....apparently there had been just enough signal coming down with the dish slightly out of alignment to show the program guide, but not enough signal to actually play any programs. It's surprising that this possibility seemed not to be mentioned, or at least not emphasized, in what I'd found via Google, just a bunch of stuff about re-programming the box, etc. Having a box (Rob's) which I was sure was ok did indeed help me figure out the problem, so thanks, Rob. The dish must have moved a bit during the winter.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Robjelves • Tue 26 May 2015 08:59

It was good to meet you both. We love it here in the creuse and love to here about places people have been. We have been here two years and seen a lot but feel there is still so much more to explore. Glad you got it sorted. Our sky dish at home got hit with a football and we too lost signal. If you go into settings you can call up a signal strength screen. This is accurate enough to get the signal back to be able to watch.

Robjelves
Dec 2013
by virtdave • Tue 26 May 2015 10:46

I'd actually checked that signal screen before my original post, and it did indicate a signal, but obviously not a strong enough signal to be really helpful wrt actually viewing channels. Thanks again for the box, which did inspire me to look further.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions