Switching from Windows to Linux
by dissid32 • Sat 21 Dec 2013 22:20

I don't understand how these things work, but if, for instance, one were to change the OS from Windows to Ubuntu, would one automatically have access to all the data files, docs, photos, emails etc, that are already existing on the computer? Or would they disappear?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: Switching from Windows to Linux
by virtdave • Sun 22 Dec 2013 05:07

There are ways of doing this, but migrating from any OS to another can be tedious. I have a couple of Windows machines, and a couple of Ubuntu ones, and there are differences. I would keep the old Windows machine and, if you can afford it, buy a new one with no OS, and install Ubuntu on it--you can download and burn a CD with the current Ubuntu on it (using your current Windows machine), and use that CD for the installation, then transfer files as needed. I bought a very powerful no-OS computer in France for about 300 euros, you can look online for what's currently available. I would recommend you take a look at ubuntuforums.org.....you should join the forums (free, just must choose a password), and see what you can find there. There is a huge community of Ubuntu geeks who can be extremely helpful--you will almost certainly need some help, there's a learning curve, but I found it worth the effort.
There are a few programs which work better on Windows than on WINE (the virtual Windows compiler which is a part of Ubuntu), like Picasa and TrueCrypt, so I would not junk your Windows PC, or completely overwrite it with Ubuntu.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by dissid32 • Sun 22 Dec 2013 12:22

Thanks very much for your advice, Virtdave. It was very helpful.

On another subject altogether: how did your anti-squirrel defences work out?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by virtdave • Sun 22 Dec 2013 18:48

ah...the squirrels did leave, but whether it was because of any particular attack, I don't know. I did buy a cheap strobe light, the kind formerly used in discos (do discos still exist?--not that I know of in the arrondissement of Aubusson, nor in the remote part of California I'm in now).....but the electric blowback from the discharge of the strobe did weird (luckily not permanent) things to all the other electronic gear in the house. The squirrels shunned all the cunning traps and poisons I deployed. I sort of think that just leaving the regular attic light on may have helped them to decide to go. :woot:

virtdave
Sep 2008
by smilespwp • Thu 26 Dec 2013 09:15

From what I have read, you can create a dual boot drive running Ubuntu OS on one partition of your hard drive and Windows OS on a second partition.

I did try it on a single partition hard drive with Ubuntu installed, but didn't manage to create a second partition on the HD. I put that down to my ignorance of Ubuntu Linux utilities, and I will try again on a pre-partitioned hard drive. (When I get down to it).

Must admit, finding your way around Linux installations is certainly for "Geeks", but do like the system and free software when you get it up and running.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by virtdave • Fri 27 Dec 2013 01:14

You are quite correct, and as you have discovered, putting both systems on the same drive is possible (I've done it), but there can be hassles. Unless you have a pretty recent computer, i.e. fast and capacious,, you're likely better off with a new no-OS one--the prices went down a lot in the past year or two

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions