explanation for high suicide rate among Orange employees
by virtdave • Sun 09 Jun 2013 10:23

I think it's perhaps because they despair about their cluelessness. I've had a problem phoning my daughter in Ireland for several weeks now. Multiple emails, many attempts to get help from 1013 (dépannage) and 1014 (commerciale). I was first informed by the 1013 folks that I'd changed providers to Free some weeks ago--I had not--and when I asked to be changed back, was told I had to call Free...but they could not give me a number to do this, and if anything, Free has a worse reputation than does Orange (just try Google on Free + arnaques), and there seems to be NO possiblity of contacting them. After several calls to the 1014 number, they said, "nope, you have not changed provider". But although I could still call the USA and England, no luck with Ireland. The pleasant lady ('Amandine'--probably based in Mumbai, but who knows?) tried my daughter's number in Ireland herself, no problem. But I still can't do it (well, I can with Skype, but heck, I am paying Orange for the ability to make such calls from my ligne fixe. Almost every French person I've talked to (at least those who've had dealings with Orange) says they've gotten different answers from Orange's SAV folks each time they call....
How many on PontNoir have had luck with Orange? Well, GOOD luck. As the old Albert King song goes, "If it wasn't for bad luck, wouldn't have no luck at all."

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: explanation for high suicide rate among Orange employees
by Dave • Tue 11 Jun 2013 09:23

Is there a high rate of suicide for Orange employees?

I always found (with the odd exception) that the people at FT / Orange where helpful although the systems and procedures that had to be followed especially for reporting and managing faults was absurd. Thankfully it's all been trouble free for the last few years (not having the dreaded "deadbox" helps).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 11 Jun 2013 09:44

The majority of folks I've dealt with at Orange/France Télécom have been fine, but I've had some who were, to be generous, unhelpful. Typically responses like "Ce n'est pas mon rayon", but on calling back the same department and getting another functionnaire, finding that it was their "rayon" after all.
The alleged high suicide rate at Orange was in the news quite a bit last year. Here is a report from a few days ago.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Tue 11 Jun 2013 10:43

€2 to read the entire article - I don't think so; sensationalist pap and incorrectly interpreted statistics is all you can expect behind the pay-wall.

The Guardian has a round up of the deaths here for free.

It certainly doesn't seem like a nice place to work.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Tue 11 Jun 2013 13:45

somehow when I saw the article, I dodged the paywall. You are likely correct, I saw elsewhere that although there did seem to be a cluster of suicides a while ago at Orange, the rate is not so different overall from the national average....
HOWEVER, I still can't call my daughter in Ireland using their supposedly all-Europe service, tho I can call the USA and England.....will continue to annoy them and myself with attempts to fix it. I keep getting batted around from one section of their SAV to another, and some make very weird claims about just whose responsibility it is.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Tue 11 Jun 2013 20:24

flash update! Finally, after the eighth or ninth call to various Orange numbers, I miraculously got connected to a competent guy on their anglophone service line, and for the first time he was someone whose English was fine--several times I had ended up speaking French on that line, since my French was better than their English. After hearing my complicated tale of woe and despair, he sorted it out, and now I can call Ireland as promised. So, keep trying. You may get lucky.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by pogo • Sat 22 Jun 2013 21:18

We have had a similar experience with Orange. Our internet connection was terribly unreliable for a while. I could hardly write and send an email before it cut out, very frustrating.

Two Orange 'HELP'line :roll: employees told us that it was our equipment, and to change the adsl filter (that must be first on their list of answers, ive got hundreds of the damn things now).
In the end, my wife got a very helpful chap, who told her that his collegues were very lazy, and he had our server reset, and no more problems.

He called back the next day to make sure it was all working fine.

Keep going til you get the helpful one(s) on the line.

Paul

pogo
Mar 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions