change from ie to chrome
by dissid32 • Fri 10 May 2013 15:07

I've been trying to change browser from ie to chrome, but now the desktop shortcuts don't work, and there are quite a few. Also, I can't access the emails in my orange.fr address, which is my main address. in chrome. Only gmails. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just not possible? Any ideas?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Re: change from ie to chrome
by lestroisours • Fri 10 May 2013 22:02

Firstly, having too many desktop shortcuts is inefficient, as most are accessible from your start button if you are careful. I have not been a fan of other browsers, so have stuck with IE(now)10. I have noticed an advisory from gmail that notes I am not using Chrome and recommends the change. Firefox is used in the local tourist office, but each has its own peculiarities. It is largely due to how cookies are managed by each of the browsers. As far as emails are concerned, I have configured Outlook to deal with all my email accounts, that downloads all the mails from the servers from Orange.fr and gmail.com, and write rules for their arrival in Outlook.
However I notice that if I check mail on the mail.orange.fr server and then refresh the page, I get a warning that cookies are not enabled, and the only way I can get back to the page is to reselect it from my favourites. And that's in IE. so it is not a unique problem. Go back to IE if you can is my advice.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by ihusker • Sat 11 May 2013 11:23

Not quite the same, but I went from firefox, when they stopped the google translate toolbar to chrome some time ago as I am still using XP ( I know, but I like it and all the programs I want don't work on later versions) and it works fine for me. After downloading there was the option to import all my firefox favourites which sit on the chrome toolbar at the left hand side. At the right hand side of the toolbar is a star which allows you to bookmark any site which you are currently on, so you can easily build up your bookmark list.
Chrome also automatically recognizes if you are on a french webpage and gives you the option to translate it.
I haven't used IE for years but I would imagine it would be the same. I would be inclined to give it a try as you can always revert back if you don't like it

ihusker
Feb 2006
by dissid32 • Sat 11 May 2013 19:34

Thanks for the replies. I think I was coming to the conclusion that I should stick to IE, but it's nice to have confirmation of my thoughts. Changing browser was probably the wrong solution to some little problems I'm having. I seem to have got my PC into a bit of a muddle, which all started when I was trying to make it more readable for me, because my eyesight has deteriorated somewhat. I think I'll just have to keep fiddling with it, even though sometimes that just makes things worse.
I didn't really follow why having a lot shortcuts on the desktop is inefficient, or how they are accessible from the start button. I've got a lot of shortcuts to web pages, e.g. to Pont Noir. Can I access them from the start button?
I don't think I've got Outlook, so I can't use it.

Thanks again for your help,

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by lestroisours • Sat 11 May 2013 20:00

I'll answer some of your concerns about shortcuts. By having shortcuts of any sort on your desktop does decrease the memory availability and response speed of your computer, but probably more true of the older machines with less physical memory size.
If you have program short cuts on the desktop, you can remove them, and the operating system advises you that the program is still available from the programs listing. If you save web pages on your desktop, you would be better off saving them in the favourites folder in the browser. I create additional folders in the favourites folder to make them more manageable and relevant.
Finally you may have access to outlook express which was bundled with XP, although I am unsure whether it is available in Windows 7. Setting it up may prove a challenge if you've not used it or outlook before.

Best of luck in any case.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by dissid32 • Sat 11 May 2013 22:17

Thanks very much, lestroisours.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions