Telephone Scam "computer problem"
by rictel • Tue 25 Sep 2012 16:03

Got a phone call today from someone saying they represented a computer management services company, speaking in English with a heavy Indian accent. He said they had been alerted that my pc had recently been downloading "junk" & possibly spyware or at worse a virus, so I should check "event manager" & he could help clean up the pc. Now I'm no technophile but i do know that we were on holiday last week & the pc was unplugged & disconnected from the modem so what he said could not have happened, & I told him so at which he rang off.

Be aware this is a scam that has been going on for some years but maybe just reaching targets in rural france. Their aim is to get you to download a tool to "clean up" the problem but in reality gives them acces to your pc & files, plus they may ask for a fee which would mean giving your card details.

rictel
Dec 2007
Re: Telephone Scam " computer problem"
by Annik • Tue 25 Sep 2012 16:25

We get spates of people like this ringing up. I get very short with them, tell them that there is nothing wrong with my computer, that I know they are trying to cheat me and that what they are doing is a criminal act. If I feel really cross I repeat what an Indian lady acquaintance says: "Do you think your mother would be proud of what you're doing?" Then I hang up.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Telephone Scam "computer problem"
by Dave • Wed 26 Sep 2012 10:20

I've never had one of these calls; but they'd get short shrift from me.

Rictel - they phoned you in France and spoke English? How did they know you'd understand?

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Telephone Scam "computer problem"
by rictel • Wed 26 Sep 2012 21:10

First time for me too Dave. As we get so many " junk" calls, if the caller display reads a number I dont recognise I tend to answer with " Hello" ( rather than 'ello or bonjour ) in an effort to put the caller off, but in this instance he replied with " Ah,you speak English". Foiled again !!

rictel
Dec 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions