sneaky French addon
by virtdave • Thu 06 Sep 2012 21:09

This may not apply to anyone else, but I think I just stumbled upon the reason I've been having a colossal headache with a sticky computer. It may only be of interest to folks using the Firefox browser, Windows XP, and the Orange ISP...but all summer I've had problems with my computer seizing up, with a message on a popup window in Firefox about 'unresponsive script'. I think the problem was a Firefox addon called 'Menu Contexuel Orange'--I disabled it, and the problem seems to have resolved. I don't think I recall installing this addon, I think (not sure) that Orange took it upon itself to do it....

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: sneaky French addon
by RobertArthur • Thu 06 Sep 2012 22:09

Headaches for a long time already, should never have touched a pc, lost nights, lost weekends. But keeps you off the streets. On the French side of the internet there are some internautes who had the same problem. Others blame Windows 2000 and XP, and the special installation cd's of Orange. These setup programs should be avoided. Programmers gold medal for clumsiness in writing code.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by lestroisours • Fri 07 Sep 2012 07:37

I have never used the installtion CD's instead prefering to install the protocols for the ISP myself.
In receiving updates from adobe and the like I never enable the "free tools" as they cause more trouble.
I have never used a purchased virus killer as they are parasitic and slow down the computers, only the simplest AVG style. I have never seen a virus or rogue add-on. However the recent changes in UK law on cookies has caused many sites to add "provisos" to their pages so you never know what you click on when re-enabling the cookies.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by virtdave • Fri 07 Sep 2012 09:16

As I noted, I'm not sure if it was Orange who snuck it into Firefox....it's been a while since I subscribed to Orange, and I may have clicked on something to allow them to insert that annoying addon--but I'm surprised that they would be able do this without my specifically allowing it within Firefox...perhaps I foolishly accepted something within Firefox to permit this myself. Orange does employ some pretty crummy coders. Lestroisours' idea of installing the protocols manually sounds interesting. Got a link on details?
I do know that Orange's installation CD really screwed up my (Windows Vista) laptop for a while, making it impossible to connect wirelessly to any other signal than theirs. I finally got that straightened out, and I believe their current installation CD doesn't have this problem.

I have used the free version of Avast antivirus, which seems to have protected my Windows systems well. Since I do a lot of online banking, obviously this is pretty critical. On my Ubuntu system back in the USA, I do have KlamAV, but this is just to screen stuff I might send out to someone with a Windows OS, since (as far as I know) Ubuntu systems very rarely, if ever, get hit with viruses.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Fri 07 Sep 2012 09:38

I have never installed any software from an ISP and certainly didn't use anything for either FT or Orange. Why would you need to do this? After all there is nothing much to set up.

I also use my own networking router and simply Googled for the Orange settings, entered them into my router and set a few security settings for WIFI and incoming traffic and turned on DHCP. Two minutes work. Enter the WIFI settings again on the PC if it isn't hard-wired and that's it.

I did have to enter my Orange email settings manually, but again a quick Google found the secure settings required and after entering the username and password they sent it was sorted. In fact I don't really use the orange email so I didn't really need to do this even except for them to send my bills.

No CD of dubious "Orange" versions or plugins or downloads of any kind required.

I do use a commercial virus checker (Kaspersky) since computers are a big part of my day. I have modern hardware and so don't notice it for the most part. It has detected viruses in emails and in a downloaded zip as well as blocking a few sites that had been hacked to install stuff on visitors PC's. What with running websites and alike I get to filter though more dodgy stuff than most. admin@pontnoir.com gets sent a variety of things.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by RobertArthur • Fri 07 Sep 2012 09:46

Orange has developed a habit of sneaking in many options, to make life easier for their cher clients. For a better internet experience, and easy money transfer. And sometimes very close to offering opportunities to some websites for a rip-off, the internet way.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Fri 07 Sep 2012 14:24

Thanks for the links, and the comments. It appears that the Orange installation CD is notoriously loaded with bloatware and crapware. I really thought I'd have to junk my current computer until I disabled that crummy addon, but if I get a new one I'll surely follow the manual installation recommendations linked above.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by virtdave • Sat 08 Sep 2012 13:00

One more damn thing....disabling the Menu Contextuel Orange addon in Firefox works, until one restarts the computer. Then it gets re-enabled. So it's clearly Orange's fault that their dratted CD installed it in the first place. I think I may have fixed it more definitively by going to the 'Ajouter ou Supprimer des Programmes' window in the Panneau de Configuration, and eliminating the 'Barre d'Outils Orange ' program....we'll see.

When I Googled this problem, there were hundreds of angry Orange clients ranting about it.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by RobertArthur • Sun 16 Sep 2012 12:40

For those with a French version of Windows XP this help on the website of Orange explains how to deactivate programs during startup. It explains only part of the problem, but not everything. You should also manually remove it in the add/remove part of the configuration menu in Windows. And this is the French translation.

In the ongoing trench warfare between Orange and the French internautes many have invented a work around solution for this type of provider induced problems as Virtdave already mentioned. One of the hundreds. For those who dare: the Orange kit d'installation leaves many footprints, deep down in your operating system, slowing down everything. This guy summarised it.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by RobertArthur • Sat 22 Sep 2012 18:00

Stop the presses! And the cd printing machines. From now on the Orange Livebox will be shipped without the infamous setup cd, I've been told. What took them so long? Organisational inertia?

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Sun 23 Sep 2012 15:34

I am delighted for future generations. I had so much trouble with the bloatware from the Orange CD that I just did a completely fresh install of Windows--my machine totally locked up, thought it was a hardware issue, but apparently not. It did take a lot of time, and I've had to reinstall a load of drivers, Skype, etc., but I guess it was worth it....

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions