First smart phone
by Creusebear • Mon 27 Feb 2012 11:39

I phone and text but not excessively, I want to be able to get my emails and use the internet etc a bit. I like the idea of apps, I know I will probably need a contract (Pay as you go at the mo) but don't want to pay too much. I have been looking at HTC Wildfire and the Samsung Galaxy (yes I know the iphone is beautiful but I can't justify the expense)
So what would you recommend?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: First smart phone
by RobertArthur • Mon 27 Feb 2012 12:04

My current smartphone, a Nokia E75, already belonging to the past because of it's Symbian operating system, has a remarkably long battery life, as long as I switch off the GPS function (free country maps, no internet needed!). Of course there are many other factors to take into consideration, but some smartphones like to see their powersupplies every day, read this review of one of the HTC's. But every smartphone has of course clever battery saving modes. This is one of the many Galaxy reviews. L'embarras du choix.

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by rictel • Mon 27 Feb 2012 17:48

Creusebear, sorry I'm a bit unsure as to if you want recommendations for a phone, or a french mobile provider to give you the services you want ?

rictel
Dec 2007
by virtdave • Mon 27 Feb 2012 17:51

Smartphones seem to have changed public behavior, not necessarily for the better, at least in the USA. It's become much more difficult to identify ambulatory schizophrenics, for example--since a person walking down the street talking to himself is perhaps not certifiably mad, just chatting to a buddy. Smartphones have also destroyed a formerly amusing pub pastime, the sports bet--when one can just whip out one's phone to get an answer, it's less amusing to argue about who won the World Cup in 1978.
Altho not a concern in Creuse (as far as I know), folks vacantly talking about their tedious personal agendas has become a pet peeve of mine. Cell-phone jammers are strictly forbidden in the USA (dunno about France), and I've tried to get my nephew, who travels frequently to Asia, to sneak one in for me, so when in a bus I could surreptitiously squelch the kid who is loudly sharing details of his lunch with an invisible chum. Also, I understand that in Japan, movie theaters and concert halls routinely block cellphone signals, which does prevent irritating ringtones interrupting the show.
grumblegrumblegrumble

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Mon 27 Feb 2012 18:51

Rictel: I am looking for recommendations for a phone, I am so confused by all the choices out there.

Virtdave: Have you seen a UK TV show called 'Grumpy Old Men'? - It's all about men of a certain maturity railing against the inequities of modern living -I think you have missed your calling.

it's less amusing to argue about who won the World Cup in 1978
No, sorry - NOTHING is less amusing than a bar full of blokes mithering on about long past forgotten sporting events!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Creusebear • Mon 27 Feb 2012 22:08

Thanks for the links Robert, I'm not sure if you are helping or making things worse!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Hagey • Tue 28 Feb 2012 11:52

Hope this helps a little.

Android Reviews

Wildfire and Galaxy s are good choices.

Regards Pete

A little bit of peace,that's not too much to ask is it?
Hagey
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions