Re: Drawing Tablet
by smilespwp • Sat 31 Mar 2012 09:44

One for Creusebear really. I wonder how you progressed with the graphics tablet/programmes ?

What has prompted me to ask this is the TV programme currently running about Art Nouveau and the latest episode featuring Aubrey Beardsley creations. This has prompted me to have a play with the Expression 3 vector art programme I mentioned in an earlier post. I find that even using my finger/touchpad I can get the strokes easily for similar drawing to Beardsley's.

I then went one step further and investigated whether the Creaturehouse Expression 3 (free) software was still available for download and it seems that it is.

If you are interested go here

Once on the page scroll down to the Download section and I have managed to download it from the Windows link. You do have to put your Windows Live ID in before Microsoft allow the download, but that's easy.

From what I remember, Microsoft had to allow this free usage as part of the agreement when buying out Creaturehouse.

I'm going to dig out my tablet this weekend and have a play using that (Might have to go to Ramsbottom (Lancashire) Chocolate Festival though, which could delay things).

Just thought you might be interested.

Edit 1: Just added a sketch I did using only the touchpad/finger on my laptop and Expression 3.

Edit 2: There are also links to free versions for Macs plus 2nd edited image with colour

cartoonface02a.jpg

Created in Expression 3 using touchpad/finger on my laptop.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Creusebear • Sun 02 Feb 2014 19:14

Sorry Brian, I have only just spotted your post - nice sketch ... very Pablo!
I treated myself to an Ipad for Christmas and have rediscovered Artrage (appĀ£1.99). Working directly onto the screen has its advantages but I haven't got the fine motor control sorted yet.
Here are a few of my practices:

Attachments
2014-02-02 17.54.22.jpg

View from the garden

2014-02-02 17.53.35.jpg

Flooded (taken from a newspaper photo)

2014-02-02 17.54.06.jpg

Abstract

Creusebear
May 2007
by smilespwp • Mon 03 Feb 2014 20:40

Thanks Creusebear, you inspired me to show some more of my doodles. More to follow, just don't have enough time to do everything I would like to have a go at.

Would like to think that more would submit their efforts. On my Genius tablet, there is a transparent cover over the drawing area which allows you to trace a photo/artwork. Did try it once, but I prefer freehand drawing. Suppose it would be quite easy to do using a Wacom tablet.

The beauty of the Inkscape drawing package is that it is a vector based drawing package, so you can manipulate your lines to any shape you want. With practice it's surprising what you can do with a scribble.

sample06a.jpg

Created using Wacom & Expression 3

Attachments
flapper01min.jpg

Wacom,Inkscape & Photoshop

flappersingle01.jpg

Created using Wacom, Inkscape & Photoshop

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by dissid32 • Wed 05 Feb 2014 14:01

I got Artrage on my Ipad this morning and had a little play with it. Seems pretty good. Thanks, Creusebear.

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Annik • Thu 06 Feb 2014 18:41

Congratulations, both of you. Those pictures are beautiful. Please show us some more.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by smilespwp • Mon 10 Feb 2014 09:31

Especially for Creusebear, but for anyone playing with drawing tablets/graphics packages, I've just found this drawing package which seems to me to be as close to freehand drawing as you can get:

The package is called Mypaint, and it seems to be far superior to Artrage/Inkscape/Expression3 as far as drawing freehand is concerned. I'm going to have a play with it and hopefully post something soon.

http://mypaint.intilinux.com/?page_id=9

There are versions for Linux/Windows 32bit/64bit/Mac operating systems and it is free opensource software.

Creusebear, I'm sure you will enjoy this one.

Just added a five minute doodle using mypaint and the Wacom tablet. Still a lot to try out, be careful when saving. Save as a jpg file.

Using it in conjunction with Photoshop/Gimp etc. it looks possible to produce some impressive drawings.

Attachments
fredflint.jpg

A five minute doodle

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Tue 11 Feb 2014 09:55

Early morning play before the grandaughter confiscates my laptop.

Attachments
england02.jpg

Wacom, Mypaint & Photoshop CS4

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by smilespwp • Sun 16 Feb 2014 19:34

Another attempt at getting more familiar with Mypaint (and a little final cropping with Photoshop).

It needs a bit of patience, but in my opinion, it is easier to draw with than Artrage. The author of the package does mention that it is meant to be used with other graphics packages and there are people devising new brush sets, etc.

If you want "Fill" you will need to port your drawing to another package. Ctrl Z is just Z to step back through actions you have added. Y is redo. Zoom in and out are . and , Enlarge your drawing is D and shrink it is F

Anyone trying it let us know how you go on please.

Attachments
montagne02.jpg

Mypaint + Photoshop

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions