Drawing Tablet
by Creusebear • Mon 14 Feb 2011 23:03

I'm thinking of buying one to try out - any recommendations for a mac user? I'd like an A4.

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Drawing Tablet
by smilespwp • Tue 15 Feb 2011 10:17

If you are over, then Aldi were advertising a Wacom tablet on sale from 23rd February. I think it's only about an A5 size though. Price €49.99

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Dave • Tue 15 Feb 2011 12:45

Wacom are supposed to be quite good. I've been meaning to get one of these myself and I might pop into ALDI and take a look at it, A5 is good enough for my needs I think.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Tue 15 Feb 2011 20:00

I'm excited - I may be able to get my hands on one for a trial - watch this space!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 17 Feb 2011 20:35

My free trial has fallen through so I am almost decided to buy this one, which I think is the one Brian suggested. It has good reviews on Amazon and there are some cool You Tube clips of it in use.

bamboo.jpg

Creusebear
May 2007
by Dave • Sat 19 Feb 2011 10:08

This is the one in ALDI. I was going to go today but it is only available from Wednesday 23rd Feb, so I'll have to see if I can get there then.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear • Sat 19 Feb 2011 15:13

Yes I had seen that one too - I was trying to compare them and couldn't see what the pros and cons were - they seem quite similar in spec but the Wacom Bamboo Pen Graphics Tablet is £20 cheaper than the Wacom Bamboo MTE-450/K-DE and I can't quite see why. Any ideas?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Creusebear • Wed 23 Feb 2011 15:56

It arrived this morning and I have been trying it out. It loaded easily and so far I haven't had any technical problems. Getting used to drawing 'blind' isn't too hard but I am having difficulty with the controls but I expect I'll get the hang of it. The tablet comes with a paint package called Artrage which is quite fun too. I haven't got Photoshop at home so I've been practising with it. Here are my first two efforts; the first is an idea for a set design for school and the other, looking forward to warmer days.

wiz.jpg
spring_1.jpg

Creusebear
May 2007
by dissid32 • Thu 24 Feb 2011 11:55

I'm rather confused as to which one you got and which one is being offered by Aldi and what the relative prices are. Can you enlighten me, please?

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Creusebear • Thu 24 Feb 2011 12:22

I got the Bamboo Pen (£39.99 from Amazon) the one Dave mentioned (Wacom Bamboo MTE-450/K-DE) from Aldi may be an older version as it does not appear on the Wacom website.

I have been playing today instead of getting on with work and here is my latest effort in honour of the PN Limousin cow!

cow2.jpg

Creusebear
May 2007
by smilespwp • Fri 25 Feb 2011 11:26

Creusebear

Are you creating your artwork images using "Artrage" ?

I've had a small Wacom tablet for about 5 years (I've also got an old Genius tablet although the stylus on that one is poor quality and needs batteries). They are both quite small pads, which I haven't found to be restricting in any way.

Use them mainly for playing !! and don't resurrect them very often. Sometimes use them editing images in Photoshop but not often, I find I can get the results I want using the touchpad and a finger.

Art packages:

Artrage (Wacom SE)
Corel Dabbler
Inkscape (Freeware)
Creaturehouse Expression 3 (Free Download if you can find it. NB. Microsoft bought out Creaturehouse and their Expression 3 is not free.

Like your efforts. Looking forward to seeing more maybe.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Annik • Fri 25 Feb 2011 11:41

What a brilliant cow! I wish I could draw like that...

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Fri 25 Feb 2011 16:04

I love this thing! It's a much more natural drawing tool for me that a mouse. The actual drawing area is about A6 which is plenty when you get used to moving around the image.So far I have only experimented with the Artrage software which is a free download with the Bamboo although I haven't mastered it all by a long way. There are some similarities with Photoshop (Layers etc) and I am looking forward to trying it out with Elements at work.

Here's another one, more impressionistic I think :)

roses.jpg

Creusebear
May 2007
by blaudeix • Fri 25 Feb 2011 20:38

You've obviously got "arty genes" these would look good gracing almost any home. is it art you teach then?

Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Creusebear • Sat 26 Feb 2011 15:30

Yes, some of the time - as well as some of the Rs (but not all 3). Thanks for the compliment.

Creusebear
May 2007
by dissid32 • Tue 01 Mar 2011 17:36

Can you tell me what operating system you use. My OS is Windows XP. Would this restrict me from using some of the wacom bells and whistles? With the Bamboo pen is one limited only to drawing?

Thanks

Patrick
dissid32
Feb 2006
by Creusebear • Tue 01 Mar 2011 19:47

I'm using Mac OS and I have only been using it as an 'arty' tool. I know it can be also used to annotate documents and that you can also hand write on the tablet and it will convert to text but I haven't tried. Have a look at the demo on the WACOM Bamboo eu website. See earlier link.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Dave • Tue 01 Mar 2011 19:58

I did manage to get the one from ALDI (after a couple of visits) and it's pretty cool. I have windows 7 and it's pretty easy to install and set-up. It integrates into Windows easily for text-to-type, drawing, clicking about and scrolling if you want. I haven't spent enough time with it yet to get proficient and I find it a little awkward, but I can already see that it will be much better that a mouse for editing images and sketching diagrams and alike. I didn't get a copy of Artrage so I've not had a chance to get creative much yet.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by smilespwp • Wed 02 Mar 2011 11:23

Dave

You could try this: www.inkscape.org

It's not remotely like Artrage, in fact, far more sophisticated. It's also freeware and legal. Worth a shot if you have the time.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Dave • Wed 02 Mar 2011 11:50

I did get that and had a quick look. I need to spend a little time with it to get the feel for what it can do.

I prefer GIMP, which is at least as good as photoshop.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions