Freeview box
by moses • Mon 25 Sep 2006 00:50
hi all

Does anyone know if UK Freeview boxes work in France of course after fitting correct aerial (do the French even have digital TV services) we have a normal aerial and pick up about 3 channels??? not sure how many I should pick up?? but the aerial is quite poorly.

thanks for any input
anthony
moses
Aug 2006
Re: freeview box
by Dave • Mon 25 Sep 2006 08:56
Any free-to-air digital satellite receiver will get BBC and ITV and will work in the Creuse, no problem with an 80cm dish and digital LNB which you can buy in most supermarkets and DIY stores for 30€ to 40€

Yes the French have digital services, they have two competing services, Canal+ and TPS. Each package is a bundle like Sky and both include BBC Prime and a bunch of free-to-air channels. You can get these packages also via ADSL in some areas.

The normal French "BBC like" free channels are Arte, TV1, France 2, France 3, France 5 (TV5) and M6. These are being phased out from analogue reception, but they are free to air on satellite but unfortunately on another one to BBC1 etc, so you either need a dual LNB setup, a motorized dish or you have to opt for one of them only.

Normal arial based reception is terrible in the Creuse and if you get a clear picture on more than 1 channel you are doing well.

I keep meaning to do an article / FAQ on this. Look out for it in the near future.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by moses • Mon 25 Sep 2006 23:18
thanks dave i wont complain at my 3 channels then???time to install a dish i think.
anthony
moses
Aug 2006
by kevcreuse • Tue 26 Sep 2006 08:30
Hi, The "UK Freeview Boxes" will technically work in france by storing all the channels it can find and then displaying them. However the chances of you receiving any of the preprogrammed channels in these boxes are small. The boxes you refer to are used with a digital aerial as opposed to a satellite system.The only way to receive reliable english tv is like Dave says but to receive all the free channels you require a "Free to View Card" in a Skybox.This is where the confusion arises. These can only be legally obtained in the UK for a small fee to an address registered in the UK as Sky have to allow all the Free channels available to comply as part of their contract.They have no obligation to allow uk tv in other countries at this price however if you do this legally i believe it can be done at a cost of around £200.00. The box on the other sattelite system is installed at around 90 degrees to the sky dish.

I know a bit about this so if you need further info just ask

Regards

Kev
kevcreuse
Aug 2005
by blaudeix • Thu 30 Nov 2006 18:35
Dave,

tell me how do I find ITV on a digital box? got all the BBC repeats beeb 1,2,3,4 and french stuff - have digital & analogue and motorised head but never found corrie etc

tia
steve
(not really a corrie fan at all just miss the adverts :))
Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Dave • Fri 01 Dec 2006 10:52
I guess this depends on the Digital receiver that you have. I have a Dreambox S7000 on which I can do a transponder scan and load every transmitting channel and then I just search them and add the ones I like to the channel menu from an alphabetical list, thus I find ITV1 etc pretty easily.

For a Sky Digibox I guess you add them by channel number? I don't know because I don't have one.

Most other digital satellite receivers will have an options to re-scan transponders or a full list where you can choose channels. I guess you could find out the transponder info and add it manually, but I reckon it must be easier to re-scan and add those you want.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by blaudeix • Sun 03 Dec 2006 22:45
I can do that but didn't find ITV only ITV news I think, I'll try again & see, what satalite is it on? Astra 2A ?
cheers
steve
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by Dave • Mon 04 Dec 2006 17:42
Yeap, 28.2E same as BBC1 and Sky.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by blaudeix • Wed 06 Dec 2006 21:39
Yippee found it!

Oh, wasn't missing much was I? :?
just different repeats...

thanks anyway Dave, have a bottle of virtual beer on me :)
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by thebiglad • Thu 28 Feb 2008 09:24
Can anyone tell me what satellite I need to point my french 'free to air' parabole and digibox at, to get French digi broadcasts ie T.N.T.?
Blissfully happy in France.
thebiglad
Apr 2007
by tomdenne • Sun 02 Mar 2008 22:14
We knew absolutely nothing about satellites but we wanted to watch some ordinary UK programmes. I went to Brico Depôt and bought an Axil 'kit satellite numérique' with a single head for €70, a post for the dish for €10 and a 100m roll of TV cable for €21.

We have a fairly modern TV that recognises UK PAL transmissions. After assembling everything I pointed the dish roughly south-east with an elevation just above the horizon.

After about an hour of mucking about with the dish and the Axil box, I eventually latched onto Astra 28E and suddenly there was 'East Midlands Today' with a better picture than we got when we lived in Nottingham.

Without really being able to understand the 'Chinglish' instruction book, we were able to group togegther, in a sensible order, the following programmes: BBC1, BBC2, ITV, News24, each with excellent sound and vision. That's all we really want. There are plenty of other channels that we browse occasionally and I'm sure that there are heaps of things that this set-up is capable of providing. But, hey ho, you know what they say about 'simple things pleasing simple minds'...

So, no matter if you've never done a digital box before, go for it! Great value for just over €100 and no Auntie knocking on your door for a licence fee either.

Just two post-scripts. Firstly, the satellite industry uses a strange compass which is not the conventional 360°. I believe the figures refer to degrees east of south. Secondly, lots of people in France think that Sat dishes point south because that's the direction of the Maghreb! None the less, this southerly direction indication can be a big help in a strange town if you are lost.

Cheers all, Tom Denne
tomdenne
Jan 2008
by Landa • Mon 03 Mar 2008 09:50
We bought an Elap DV3 from brico which is the same as the Axil.
But when it rains we lose the signal.Has anyone any idea how to overcome this.
Landa
Feb 2005
by smilespwp • Mon 03 Mar 2008 20:50
Two options:

1. Look at your channels when the signal is present (eg a TV programme is being viewed). Do you notice black or white flecks (known in the trade as "Sparklies") on the picture, If so then this is an indication that your satellite dish is not correctly aligned laterally and therefore you are losing a small amount of the received signal, which can make a difference during rainfall. You need to have a truly clean picture with no flecks on the received picture. Therefore try and re-align dish and improve the received signal.

2. A larger satellite dish will drag in more signal and therefore overcome (Rain Fade) your problem.

Hope this is of some use. If you know anyone with a spectrum analyser that covers the satellite bands then you stand an even better chance of aligning your dish correctly.

NB. changing to a larger dish does not mean you have to change the LNB as well.
Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Landa • Tue 04 Mar 2008 11:33
Thanks for the info Brian.Guess we will have to try and align it all over again.When it stops snowing!
Landa
Feb 2005
by Leighngrae • Sun 20 Apr 2008 11:25
re Tomdenne - no auntie knocking on door for licence fee.

I thought that you have to have a tv licence in france?
We were using an old english tv for playing dvds that does not pick up french tv.Recently bought tv back home as we were told by a friend that we need a french licence even if we cant get tv reception.Even had a letter at the house saying that someone had been round to check whether or not we have a tv.

Can someone clarify for me. Do we need a tv licence if we have an old english tv that does not pick up french channels?

If we have a tv licence can we bring our English sky freeview box over and use a portable satellite dish to recieve sky.

Sorry to sound technologically stupid!!!!Any help gratefully recieved.
Leighngrae
Apr 2007
by Dave • Sun 20 Apr 2008 11:50
Yes you do need a TV license (redevance audiovisuelle) for your old English TV. The TV license is included with the Taxe d'Habitation by default and collected with the tax unless you specifically tell them that you don't have a TV. If memory serves, it is now €116 a year.

You can bring your sky digibox box and watch most English TV although almost all free channels are now unencrypted so a cheap free-to-air digital setup will do. For a decent picture you will need an 80cm dish. See the Television and Radio FAQ.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by tomdenne • Sun 20 Apr 2008 14:53
Sorry if what I said about Auntie was misleading. As Dave rightly says, you have no option but to pay the redevance audiovisuelle here if you have a TV (indeed 116€ last year) but you don't have to pay Auntie on top. And 116€ is not as much as you would pay in the UK.

Why doesn't the UK follow France's example and stick the TV licence on the rates? You could then do away with all those pleas for people to pay and the need for so many detector vans.
tomdenne
Jan 2008
by Leighngrae • Sun 20 Apr 2008 15:59
Thanks for that.I'll write off and get a licence i dont want to get into trouble and end up with a fine!!
Leighngrae
Apr 2007
by tomdenne • Sun 20 Apr 2008 20:54
Hi Leighngrae

I suppose you are talking about a TV licence for 2008 rather than last year. (If you want to pay last year you must either be a saint or be barmy).

So, if it's 2008, you will pay automatically when you pay your 'taxe d'habitation' this autumn. There is now no need to declare anything in advance because it will be automatically assumed that you do have a TV. It's only necessary to declare if you don't have one, to avoid the TV tax of 116€ (or probably a bit more this year)

Cheers, Tom
tomdenne
Jan 2008
Re: Freeview box
by dikdok • Mon 01 Nov 2010 12:47
With the impending digital switchover, what's the best way to get digital French programmes? I have a satellite dish & Skybox for English channels but use a separate aerial for French analogue, (only getting 3 channels with poor reception). If I buy a terrestrial digibox will I get more channels with my existing aerial, or should I fit a second LNB to my dish & get a satellite digibox instead?
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the great ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
dikdok
Jun 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions