Telephone lines and broadband connections
by kevcreuse • Tue 01 Nov 2005 11:08

Hi,
I will have the need to install a permanent telephone line early in the new year and will also require a connection to internet/email etc;

I wondered if anyone has had dealings with a broadband company and what sort of costs are involved or who i should steer clear of because of problems you may have encountered.

My place is outside aigurande north creuse so may not be able to get broadband anyway but would welcome any info thanks, in advance.

regards

Kevin

kevcreuse
Aug 2005
Re: Telephone lines and broadband connections
by Landa • Tue 01 Nov 2005 14:37

Hi Kev,there are many telephone and internet providers out there.But initially you will have to get France telecom to connect you.It cost us about 90euros.If you don`t have a telephone pole nearby you may have to pay a lot more.We also have Fr telecom as our internet provider and we get broadband here just outside Aigurande.It cost 19 euros a month unlimited use and is very fast connection.Fr telecom always have some sort of offer but I can`t understand them as my french is not perfect and I believe they have one at the moment for cheap phone calls.
Landa

Landa
Feb 2005
by Dave • Wed 02 Nov 2005 03:58

There are about half a dozen serious broadband providers in France. Unfortunately (most of) the Creuse is in an area called non-d├ęgroupage. This means that you will not be able to get some suppliers and others will charge you more than the advertised price, often more than France Telecomm.

New infrastructure has been installed all over the Creuse (it is a special development area) and this should now allow every telephone in the Creuse to have broadband, although the speed that you get is entirely dependant on the quality of your line and the distance of your house from the exchange. Speeds of up to 18 Mbp are available, but for most rural areas 1 or 2 Mbps is all that can be obtained.

You can check what services and providers you can use at DegroupTest.com where you simply enter your phone number and it will display a whole bunch of options.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by kevcreuse • Thu 03 Nov 2005 05:51

Many thanks to you both

Landa, the monthly cost of your connection i presume you have to pay line rental as well plus call charges or is this a combined fee for a basic broadband connection inc line.

Im not bothered about anything faster than 1-2 for now this is the norm for most houses in england now.

I went on degrouptest and fr telecom will cover my postcode so thats a good start.i have had problems with wanadoo over here with a "dead box" and them telling me "i dont wanadoo that" so thanks for your time, much appreciated

Kev

kevcreuse
Aug 2005
by Landa • Thu 03 Nov 2005 14:48

Yes I have to pay line rental as well as call charges.One word of warning! In a bad storm make sure your computer is protected or pull out from the socket and the telephone line.Ours was badly damaged back in June.But fortunatly we were able to claim from our contents insurance.
Landa

Landa
Feb 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions