multi-word translations
by virtdave • Fri 17 Jun 2011 16:43

I'm writing this in English, since it refers to a problem many anglophones have (francophones too, but there are fewer of them on this site)....
Often one is faced with the challenge of trying to translate a combination of words, rather than a single word. Standard dictionaries are fine for the latter, but sometimes deficient if one is searching for the translation of a short phrase, like for instance, 'for instance' ('par exemple' en français). That's where this site can be handy, both for translating phrases (look under the tab 'Dictionary' there) or for translating entire messages.

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: multi-word translations
by Creusebear • Sat 18 Jun 2011 11:37

Good site! I especially like the ability to give feedback better translations if you have one.
I have used this one before. I like the option of searching through the dictionary if I am not sure of the spelling. Your site seems overall more polished, and very fast. Thanks for the recommendation.

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: multi-word translations
by thewrights • Sat 18 Jun 2011 18:10

One other site I find useful is wordreference.com where, once you look up a word, there is a list of that word used in many contexts and phrases, and access to a forum of linguists who help with tricky translations if a particular phrase doesn't appear in the list.

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions