Accents for french letters
by VicH • Mon 13 Nov 2006 12:37

No, I am not being rude, but there was a list of numbers to type into a computer to produce the required french accents on certain letters. My copy is 1200 kilometers away and I would lke another copy. Can anyone help please.
VicH

VicH
Sep 2005
Re: Accents for french letters
by charlie • Mon 13 Nov 2006 12:57

Typing French Accents
To type these accents, hold down the ALT key, then type the three or four digits listed here. When you release the ALT key, the character will appear. You must type the numbers with the numeric keypad, not with the row of numbers across the top of your keyboard.

ALT + ALT +
à 133 À 0192
â 131 Â 0194
ä 132 Ä 142
æ 145 Æ 146
ç 135 Ç 128
é 130 É 144
è 138 È 0200
ê 136 Ê 0202
ë 137 æ 0203
î 140 Î 0206
ï 139 Ï 0207
ô 147 Ô 0212
œ 0156 Œ 0140
ù 151 Ù 0217
û 150 Û 0219
ü 129 Ü 154
« 174 » 175

I copied this from a web site but have not tested their accuracy. Sorry, the pasted copy is rather untidy! Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by jeanpierre • Mon 13 Nov 2006 18:28

In addition, I suggest two other ways :

- you don't type any special character, and you use the orthographic corrector (word, excel, outlook, ...).

- you switch your keyboard to a french one, through the control panel -> regional settings. You will have to learn the french keyboard (AZERTY instead of QWERTY). When I work in french speaking area in Belgium or Switzerland, I commute my keyboard and I am annoyed for a couple of days...

Regards.

Jean-Pierre

jeanpierre
Sep 2005
by useless • Mon 13 Nov 2006 21:16

Very useful. Is there a euro sign key?
Merci

useless
Jun 2006
by jeanpierre • Mon 13 Nov 2006 21:35

Through Ascii : Euro € is Alt 0128
Through the keyboard : Euro € is Alt Gr e

jeanpierre
Sep 2005
by VicH • Wed 22 Nov 2006 10:32

Thanks for the info everyone. I have a problem though, inasmuch as I use a laptop and it does not have a numeric keypad, so I am stymied unless I can find some other way,

cheers

VicH

VicH
Sep 2005
by Dave • Wed 22 Nov 2006 10:56

Normally laptops have a function key that gives a bunch of keys the same function as the numeric pad.

Also if you use Windows you can use Character Map (Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map). This lists all available characters and you just click on them and copy them into your document. It's a bit slow this way, but you could simply copy them all into a new document and then copy and paste from the document in the future.

Alternatively, just copy them from the page I gave in the message above into a new document.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by useless • Sun 26 Nov 2006 18:46

I have it on good authority that in windows XP you can set various default keyboard/language settings and then put an icon on the toolbar to switch from one to the other. IE change from French language with an English keyboard to French with a French keyboard or any other combination. Go to control panel; regional settings; languages; details - then follow the 'add' instruction and configure it the way that best suits. It's a bit complex but worth it ones its finished. Good luck

useless
Jun 2006
by VicH • Wed 29 Nov 2006 13:45

Thank you all once again, I shall be trying out these suggestions in due course,

VicH

VicH
Sep 2005
by Annik • Wed 24 Oct 2007 23:26

Thanks a million Johnboy. I always try to have Charlie's list of accents on a piece of paper on the desk where I can see it but usually it falls off, gets covered by other bits of paper or the dog eats it.... So Avisoft is brilliant. (But thanks Charlie, for the original list).

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by Creusebear • Thu 25 Oct 2007 12:05

Thanks for the avisoft link. A really useful download.
Just what I need.

Creusebear
May 2007
by thebiglad • Thu 25 Oct 2007 12:34

BUY A FRENCH KEYBOARD !!!

Cheap as chips, has all the accents & € signs for only 10 - 15 euros.

Plug it straight into your laptop.

Blissfully happy in France.
thebiglad
Apr 2007
by Annik • Thu 25 Oct 2007 15:11

We've got a French keyboard but as we aren't in France all the time it's helpful to have easily-accessible accents on my English laptop, when I'm using it in England! However I agree with your sentiments - if we lived in France 12 months of the year we'd have a French-biased machine.

Annik
Jun 2007
by lestroisours • Fri 26 Oct 2007 16:45

If you have microsoft Word installed, together with the french language in your current document you can add accented letters as follows:
For é - e acute type control+' - normally the single quote facing right nearest the return key, then follow it with the letter "e", and it will become é.
for è - e grave type control+` - normally the single quote facing left above the tab key, then follow it with an "e", and it will become è. This will work with all vowels by the way.

For circumflex type shift control+^, normally the character above the keyboard 6, followed by the vowel. For uhmlaut type shift control+colon ":", then the letter.

For Cedilla "c" type control+comma "," then the letter "c"

Whilst I haven't tried it, it may also work for the spanish lansuage.

There may be other combinations too!

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by smilespwp • Fri 09 Nov 2007 07:32

Avisoft utility, brilliant and I can confirm it also works with OpenOffice.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Annik • Fri 09 Nov 2007 11:31

If you're writing a letter in Lotus Wordpro, which is what we use for most documents, you can set the document to be in French when you start and then spell check it at the end. The spellchecker will then go through and correct your spelling as well as adding all the accents.

However, when you're writing in English, and just need to quote French words from time to time, Avisoft or Charlie's list above are excellent.

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions