What a bargain
by smilespwp • Tue 26 May 2009 12:10

Trying to learn French alone is, as I'm sure, most of you know quite difficult, especially if you have other duties and committments.

I have read in the past about the Michel Thomas tapes/cds and it seemed that although some people condemned them, others thought they were brilliant.

Anyway, last week I Googled the Michel Thomas French and found a site offering the 8 hour course on cassette for £10.74 plus P&P (Total £13.53). At that price I thought, what is there to lose and ordered it.

Received, the tapes package on Saturday morning and although I've not had time to listen to most of them, what I have heard is different and I must say nearly as good as having a lesson with a tutor.

The course places you as a student along with two others (on the tape) whilst Michel Thomas gives the instruction and he also insists on No books, No notes amongst other little rules but it seems to work.

I don't know if there are any more at that price (Price on the Commercial packaging was originally £70) but the website to visit is:

www.alibris.com

Don't know if anyone else has tried this course in the past but I would be interested to hear your comments.

PS I've just checked the UK web site and it's available (the 8 hour course on cassette) for £9.33 plus P&P.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: What a bargain
by virtdave • Tue 26 May 2009 16:56

Online courses are a good thing, but cassettes or CD's have the advantage of being capable of being played in one's car--there's nothing like boring repetition to drill a new language into one's head, and while working, for a year I listened to a series developed by the US foreign service for its diplomats, while commuting, about 15 minutes each way, daily. So I learned, early on, such phrases as, "Il a été nommé à Londres, et nous ne pouvons pas envisager un projet de cette envergure en son absence." But also much more useful ones, like "Il y a trop de monde à guichet douze."

virtdave
Sep 2008
Re: What a bargain
by edmoraz • Wed 27 May 2009 08:45

I find Michel Thomas very helpful, I listen whilst ironing and I like to think a little sinks in each time.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions