Learning French in Creuse!
by Creusebear • Sat 08 Mar 2008 17:40

Please post here any information you have regarding learning French in the Creuse. It could be about courses, classes, informal conversation groups, children's lessons, private tutors etc.
There always seems to be someone looking and your knowledge could help!

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Learning French in Creuse!
by Creusebear • Sat 08 Mar 2008 20:20

Some good advice from Twinkletoes a while back:

In Aubusson you can get information on French lessons (Les Structures d'accueil pour apprendre le francais) at:
APP d'Aubusson: Maison Aujame, 9 rue Vieille
Tel: 05 55 66 17 62

They also have offices in Gueret, Boussac and Bourganeuf. In the last column on page 29 of the book link under English Integration in the Creuse that Blaudeix put on the forum are all the contact details.

Creusebear
May 2007
by Sola • Sun 09 Mar 2008 10:24

From my experience to enable you to obtain classes through the APP you have to fulfil certain criteria....i.e. be registered with ASSEDIC and ANPE (actively looking for work)or recieving benefits such as RMI. You must also be affiliated with the French health care system for insurance purposes. In the days of a carte/titre de sejour that would also do and still applies if you have one. (There are bound to be other criteria too that I am unaware of/have forgotten!).
The lessons are usually free which I suppose is why they have to have such criteria.

Sola
Sep 2007
by rayh • Sun 09 Mar 2008 11:26

Just been pottering around t'internet looking for resources and came across this link, from there you can get to some good (free!) on-line resources to improve your French.

"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" - Benjamin Franklin
rayh
May 2007
by andie • Thu 10 Apr 2008 23:15

I have french lessons with a woman called Sophie in Dun le Palestel.
She's very good and makes each lesson interesting. My neighbours have all commented on how well my french is progressing which is good to hear.
Sophie's telephone number is 05 55 89 15 74.
She does one to one or small group sessions. :D

andie
Oct 2007
by Jeanne • Wed 23 Jun 2010 06:52

I have two French lessons a week but they end for the summer break at the beginning of July. I can't afford private lessons and wondered if there were any group lessons anywhere between Boussac and Gueret that may continue during the summer period?

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by virtdave • Tue 09 Nov 2010 08:32

Some the most useful, as well as entertaining, methods for learning French are books. Of course, they may not help so much in speaking French, but for expanding one's vocabulary and appreciation of French culture, the choice is varied and large. I found bandes dessinées, which are perhaps more evolved in France than in the USA (and likely the UK) to be particularly helpful, as well as amusing. In particular, the Bidochon series (there must be over 20 of them now), the Tintin series (tho some have been recently adjudged inadequately politiquement correct), and the Achille Talon series are usually delightful. Of course, the nineteenth-century classics, like the works of Zola, are well-known, but for sheer reading pleasure, I'd recommend Marcel Aymé, in particular Les Contes du Chat Perché, which I just re-read--it's a collection of stories about the events in the lives of two farm girls, sisters Delphine and Marinette. Witty, and occasionally even profound, though always light.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Tiddles • Tue 09 Nov 2010 13:13

Thank you virtdave; I've just ordered Les Contes du Chat Perché and look forward to reading it.

Tiddles
Sep 2007
by charlottemart • Wed 23 Nov 2011 20:52

hello i'm french, and I want to improve my english because I love learning news culture and I want to do an exchange to share the language the culture or experience

je suis sur ce site dans le but de faire des rencontres afin d'améliorer mon anglais et de connaître une nouvelle culture.
charlottemart
Nov 2011
by Creusebear • Thu 24 Nov 2011 08:32

Welcome to the forum Charlottemart - although I suspect you have lowered the average age by a decade or two!

Creusebear
May 2007
by smilespwp • Thu 24 Nov 2011 11:27

Must admit that my learning French is sporadic and generally, self taught, with help from a number of sources (Michel Thomas, BBC French recordings, Linguaphone etc.).

I found a language college locally (in England) that runs free language courses. the first year was very useful but the second year, after obvious budget cuts, was not as good and people lost interest, because they couldn't get the support off the stretched tutor, who was trying to teach three levels of French to different people in the class.

I also invested in a digital TV receiver which picks up and decodes the French programmes broadcast from the Astra satellite at 19.2 degrees east. Having had a redundant satellite dish beamed at the Astra satellite, it was just a matter of hooking it up.

I now can watch more French channels than I can in France and with the subtitle facility switched on, find that I learn new words daily. I also keep to hand my pocket (electronic) dictionary to look up the meaning of certain words I don't understand, or can't figure out the meaning of. I can also easily get the up to date weather and local (Limousin Channel 3) news and forecasts.

I find that when learning a foreign language, you know you are getting somewhere when you start to think in the language. When you don't always compose your sentence mentally in English and then translate that into the language you are trying to learn.

I have a long way to go, and need to have more confidence in myself to use what I know, without having to ask whoever I am dealing with, if they speak English. And on receiving a negative response find that my attempt at conversation in French is understood and we manage to conclude the conversation.

I think another important part of learning a foreign language is not to worry about making a fool of yourself. Just have a go regardlessand remember that a good proportion of the English lanuage is French words pronounced slightly differently.

Final Addendum: Try and crack the verbs conjugation. Once you are mastering them, then I think it gets a bit easier. As an exercise, I have just run this response through my translator and it is surprising how little it changes between the English and French text.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions