Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

43 Pont Noir visitors at once! Is this a record?
by Annik • Tue 11 Sep 2007 13:26
I was just having a look at Pont Noir this afternoon, as is my wont, and I thought something had gone wrong with my screen because when I scrolled down the number of visitors on the left-hand side just kept on coming. It seemed there were 44 people on line at that moment - me and 43 visitors! I'd love to know why (apart, of course, from the fact that the website is fabulous, anyway....)

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: 43 Pont Noir visitors at once! Is this a rceord?
by Annik • Tue 11 Sep 2007 13:27
Now hang on a minute - I posted that comment a minute ago and now there are 71 visitors! Are we being taken over by cyberspace warriors?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Tue 11 Sep 2007 13:55
It's likely to be an automated bot trolling the site, rather than 71 actual people. These trawl bots suck up all the data for various reasons (few of which are good). Mostly I ban them when I find them since (with the exception of about half a dozen who manage their sessions better anyway) they are useless bandwidth sucking monsters.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Annik • Tue 11 Sep 2007 14:48
What a shame! I thought at first it might be a class teaching people how to use the internet - and thought it would be fun if one of them replied - but when the numbers went up so quickly I realised it must be something nasty like the automated bot, except I didn't know the technical term for one! I know Ed has had to do various things with our website to attempt to stop them pinching data.
Annik
Jun 2007
by Annik • Tue 11 Sep 2007 23:07
When I told Ed about the automated bot he reminded me that there was a piece in this month's "French News" stating that their website had been attacked by "cyberspace terrorists" last month.

I quote: "First of all, a team of ill-wishers decided to sabotage our website forum. We know who they are despite their repeated use of alias email addresses and have reported them to the police.....

"More recently Ecuadorean hackers perverted our embryonic new website but apparently only got into the home page via the front end...

"Meanwhile Cathy at the switchboard has had several menacing phone calls from a man claiming to be a Basque, telling us how he hates the British for putting up property prices..."

So seriously, Dave, it might be worth being even more on your guard, as Pont Noir might be thought to be a suitable target for such nutters.

All good wishes

Annik
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Wed 12 Sep 2007 09:51
It almost always is board middle class kids. It's most likely that they chose a CMS or host with poor security.

Pont Noir is a small community site and most likely not to be targeted by international terrorists or menacing folks of any kind. It is aimed at integration and community activities.

The main problem is from members trolling and aggravating each other and then blaming me for policing them. The (relative) anonymity of the web sometimes seems to bring out the worst in people.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by james419 • Thu 13 Sep 2007 05:40
Being a biot dim on suh matters what is trolling?
james419
Sep 2005
by Dave • Thu 13 Sep 2007 09:30
A troll is a person who posts only to annoy or get a (negative) reaction.

A definition can be found here.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by james419 • Thu 13 Sep 2007 09:35
Many thanks for that at work we to call them "Pratts"

have a good day
james419
Sep 2005
by Annik • Thu 13 Sep 2007 09:58
I clicked on "here" in Dave's message about trolls (which I thought lived under bridges in Scandinavia) and entered a whole new world of sockpuppets, meatpuppets, astroturfing, false flags and the Meow Wars. Terrifying! What a naive rookie I am...
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Thu 13 Sep 2007 14:54
which I thought lived under bridges in Scandinavia
Some may still live under bridges, but most still live with their parents.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions