Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

The all New Pont Noir
by Dave • Thu 11 Jul 2013 09:30
As you can see Pont Noir has had a big makeover.

Most things have now been integrated into the new forums, with several new forums (Book Reviews, Crosswords, and a new My Life in the Creuse section where some of the old Feature columns are now available). All the old posts are here too. As are the cows! :-D

The Directory is missing but will be added later this year. There is also a bit of tidying up to do with some transferred articles and changed internal links and I'll gradually work though these over the next week or so.

Please let me know if something isn't working or if you can't find something. Also let me know what you think of the new site.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: The all New Pont Noir
by enzo • Thu 11 Jul 2013 12:10
Sorry the colour is too dark for me
enzo
Jun 2011
by grandad • Thu 11 Jul 2013 12:38
Loads of work for you, and thank you for it !
I find the new colour a little "heavy" but I'm often in a minority, says my wife !
Well done.
grandad
Apr 2008
by grandad • Sat 13 Jul 2013 10:32
The new colour is really oppressive now to the point where it is no longer a pleasure to read !!! I normally look at the site a couple of times (min) each day, and it is now hard work, so I'm much less likely to bother. That would be a shame, for me at least. Am I the only one ? Doubt it !
grandad
Apr 2008
by Pamski • Sat 13 Jul 2013 14:04
I don't have a problem with the colour - quite like it!
Pamski
Sep 2011
by RobertArthur • Sat 13 Jul 2013 14:32
First of all: my compliments for keeping the old forum contributions on board. I've seen an example of a revamped website for the Dutch here in France where the transition was more abrupt.....How to shoot oneself in the foot.

I like the framework with these cows, always curious, watching what's going on here. This Forum is definitely embedded in La Creuse. To import the surrounding countryside, the green background color of the forum, for the presentation of text, not so happy with that. Dark backgrounds tend to be rather fatiguing when reading a bright text. This was my first impression, but said to myself: come on Robert, don't be so old-fashioned, give a non-classic color combination a chance. A white or off-white page, and black or almost black text, or variations in light blue or grey, it belongs to another century.

But after a few days - une pause de reflexion as the French say - I'm afraid Grandad is right: it is not an invitation to read more than half a page. It looks like the fontsize is a little bit larger than it used to be, but it doesn't compensate the perceived lack of readability.

And writing these letters here on the green wall, I'm wondering: where do I find the little text editing tool bar? Italics, bold, underline, link etc. There is of course a (deactivated?) BBCode editing mode, but four or five standard tools would make life easier. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

KInd regards,

Robert
RobertArthur
Mar 2009
by virtdave • Sat 13 Jul 2013 18:47
I find the dark green rather nice, but I understand some have issues with it...not a big deal. It would be nice to have the old text-formatting tools. I looked at the link to BBCode, and tho it explains how to use BBCode rather well, there seems to be no option for turning it on automatically--would turning it on restore the text-formatting links? It was particularly useful for including direct web links, tho I do see how it could be done manually. And I don't use Smillies, tho obviously some find them useful.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Sat 13 Jul 2013 21:33
If you hit reply rather than quick reply then you get the smilies and formatting bar automatically and even with quick reply you can get it by clicking full editor (unless there is a problem that I don't see myself).

I also (obviously) like the Green and I read everything on here without difficultly and in-fact much prefer it to black on white sites. It obviously doesn't suit everyone but that's not likely to happen with one colour scheme. It is a radical change and you should give it time. As for font size modern browsers increase this easily with ctrl and + so have whatever size you like.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by chris-le-bricoleur • Sat 13 Jul 2013 22:12
Sorry to be negative, but the white-on-green layout gives me a headache. As a general rule, text which is presented dark-on-light is better readable than the other way round. Why are books and newspapers printed black-on-white?
Sorry for all the work done, but the new optic approach is not my choice.
by virtdave • Sun 14 Jul 2013 04:06
I don't seem to bring up the formatting bar when I hit Reply...nor can I find a way to bring up the full editor if I hit Quick Reply. I use the Firefox browser (and Ubuntu 12.04) if that matters.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by cmchsmjm • Sun 14 Jul 2013 08:54
It is a very dramatic change, perhaps a bit too dark but it's not the end of the world.

Regardless of how it looks we all benefit from a wonderful site that is full of useful info and entertaining articles and it doesn't cost us a penny so thank you for all your efforts...

...if newspapers and books had black text printed on white it would use too much ink and your hands would be black after reading!
cmchsmjm
Jan 2010
by Dave • Sun 14 Jul 2013 10:29
There was an issue with the permissions on this forum (only I think) so you couldn't use bbcode and your post count didn't increase. This is now fixed. Members should have bbcode everywhere so let me know if it is missing somewhere.

The colour scheme isn't going to be changing any time soon and I'm sorry if some people don't like it but there we are; I can't please everyone.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by virtdave • Sun 14 Jul 2013 11:38
Thanks, you fixed it--with the current format, one must do just a bit more to include a link--the old way, one could click on a button and be invited to enter the desired text, then the URL, but this should work fine
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Dave • Mon 15 Jul 2013 13:03
The url button now works the old way with a pop-up. The new platform didn't support this but I've added it in (although it asks for the URL first and then the text).
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by rictel • Thu 25 Jul 2013 18:01
Hi Dave,
Good on you for updating your site, as others have said , the dark background doesn't make for the easiest reading but I use forums whose background is Black, so it is something you can get used to. My problem is that having just done a post on " whats on " , I cant read what i am writing in the "create post or post a reply box" , so have to click "preview post" to check spelling etc. Any way of making the print darker as you write in the subject box ?

Thanks
Richard
rictel
Dec 2007
by Dave • Thu 25 Jul 2013 22:21
The boxes should be white text on a green background. Is this not what you have? If not can you try pressing F5 a couple of times and see if it is cured. If it is still not right can you tell me your browser type and version.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by rictel • Fri 26 Jul 2013 13:19
Hi Dave,

The subject & message boxes are white & the lettering is a very faint green or grey. Tried the F5 a few times with no difference. I am running Internet Explorer 8

The forums are all as you say, white text on green background.

thanks Richard
rictel
Dec 2007
by Dave • Fri 26 Jul 2013 14:09
IE8 is a bit old now the best thing would be for you to upgrade, either to IE9 or IE10 where it is working fine. I will try to see if I can fix the issue but don't have access to IE8 to test.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Siptea • Fri 26 Jul 2013 20:07
I don't like the color green, I'd prefer pink but that's just me! I think a little lighter background color would be easier to read.

Barbi
Siptea
Jul 2010
by David_J • Wed 07 Aug 2013 13:00
Where has the very useful 'mark all forums read' options gone?
David_J
Aug 2006
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions