WARNING - Posts by Caroline100
by smilespwp • Sun 08 Apr 2012 20:45

Advice - Don't be tempted to click on the links posted in each of the threads posted by Caroline100. I had some emails off a colleague about 10 days ago with similar links. It seems his email addresses had been hi-jacked and emails sent out under his name with this link in. Fortunately, when I clicked on it, I recognised the page that came up informing me of virus's on my computer and switched my machine off before it could go any further. His daughter wasn't so lucky and it took her days to recover her data etc.

So until Dave has a chance to check it out, I would steer clear of these posts.

Looks like Caroline100 only registered and posted these today.

It seems it's a form of malicious malware, check this report to find out more.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
Re: WARNING - Posts by Caroline100
by Jeanne • Mon 09 Apr 2012 11:29

Thanks. They don't look like typical Pont Noir posts either. Some people are so sad to do this sort of stuff, need to do something better with their time.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by lavaufranche • Mon 09 Apr 2012 12:56

Thanks Brian, very timely and informative, my opinion of malicious posters is not complimentary. These posts appear other forums in April. Typical introductions to the malicious malware link being:- 'what if you found', 'what do you think about', 'you can see' .

To the sado who produces this malicious malware 'Get thee forth and do n't darken our happy forum again' and I'll finish with a Dickens observation.

There are dark shadows on the earth, but its lights are stronger in the contrast Charles Dickens The Pickwick Papers
Enjoy the rest of your Easter Holiday
Mike

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by thetransporter • Mon 09 Apr 2012 18:49

Am I missing something here?

I understand that malware/spyware etc can be 'accidentally' downloaded, but don't you have to click on something on that site to enable the download - I wasn't aware that simply viewing a page could infect your computer... I do hope that is still the case, otherwise I may as well give up. If just by viewing a page they can install stuff, we are all surely doomed?

Can anyone clarify this for me (us all), preferably with references/links. Thanks

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by smilespwp • Tue 10 Apr 2012 09:40

The warning is DON'T click on the link within the post.

Of course, if you want to try it out. Click on the link.

It's aways easier if you consider yourself superior to the rest. There are some who, not as wary as others, may go down the route and end up with more trouble than it is worth. (Just look how many in the past have fell for the "You have won a million pounds" "Just send me £1,000 and your bank details to processs it". I know that I fell for the type of link in the Caroline100 post a few years ago and it took me, some considerable time to get my system back to normal. If you want to know more, go and Google things and then come back with some useful information.

Sorry if this seems a little curt but, just trying to be helpful, however there is always one pedant !

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by thetransporter • Tue 10 Apr 2012 09:54

Yes smilespwp I fully appreciate the warning of not clicking the link - thanks, but my question was more of whether clicking on the link was in itself dangerous, or whether clicking on links on the page that it sent me to would be required to become infected.

The reason I am so concerned is that I saw caroline 100's posts and clicked on all three links (3 different posts) and arrived at the destination pages, before your warning had been posted.

I saw that these pages were for the promotion of Islam and relatively official looking - I assumed they were more spam/propaganda type than malicious, and I did have the presence of mind not to click any links on those pages. Thus bringing me back to my original question - Am I at risk of being infected simply having visited those sites/pages, or would I have had to have clicked on a link on those pages to initiate some kind of infection?

Sorry to be so pedantic, not to mention confused.

thetransporter
Jan 2008
by smilespwp • Tue 10 Apr 2012 13:00

I don't believe that you have a problem by just clicking on the link, it's when you dig deeper by further link clicking. Anyway, looks like Dave has removed those posts.

The time I had my problem, it disabled my internet tools/email accounts and also prevented me from accessing some of my working files. As I said previously, It took days (which I could have used more productively) to finally get it out of my system.

Since then, I have always been wary of anything with a link that I am not expecting, but when the other week, it was a link in an email from a friend, I suspected nothing until I clicked on his link. Then the page I was presented with, was telling me that my PC was infected with x number of virus's and to click on another link to launch a programme to get rid of them. I've been down that road and didn't want to go again, so I contacted the friend, and he was unaware that these emails were being sent out under his email address.

The clue was tiny.cc etc. A search on Google explained that it is a hyperlink to a malware launching site.

The opposite of this scenario is when you get the chain letter warning of an email circulating virus. It's normally a hoax, and people tend to pass it on without first of all doing a check via Google, which will then give you trusted links to sites that will dispel the rumours.

I'm no expert, but I had my first computer in 1980. I've learnt over the years to be very cautious, and if you suspect something isn't right, resist the temptation and delete it. Then try checking it out via Google.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by thetransporter • Tue 10 Apr 2012 13:53

I'm glad to hear that you don't think I have a problem - that's great news.

I do understand how frustrating these infections can be, as I have had to re-format my son's laptop twice as a result of infections - dramatic steps, but after running all the scans there seemed to still be some 'odd' behaviour - so I took advice from an ex-microsoft programmer and his advice was to reformat to be sure.

I often get frustrated and impatient with my machine when scans are running (I don't like to leave my pc running overnight) and I'm trying to do something else - they can be very resource hungry and do slow the machine down at times, and I often wonder whether I'm being over cautious - but your last post clearly reminds me of the potential dangers and risks, not to mention their unpleasant consequences.

I try to be as careful as possible, something that teenagers don't always consider a priority - until their laptop has to be re-formatted and they lose a lot of precious files as a consequence ! - Lessons learnt.

I'm certainly no expert and I learn on a daily basis, I have Avast Ant-Vir Free Version anti-virus software, Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware (all freeware) running quick scans on a daily basis and full scans weekly, and (touch wood) have had no major problems thus far. It is quite sobering to think that, like yourself, I could so easily be infected with one careless click on a link - even a link in an email from a friend.

Thanks again for your reassurance and lets hope that none of us get infected, ever. :D

thetransporter
Jan 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions