Photo Manipulation
by Dave • Mon 10 May 2010 12:01

A number of you have mentioned that you have difficulties resizing or cropping photo's to allow you to upload them to a Pont Noir forum.

Today I've discovered Picnik a free and easy to use website that allows you to easily edit your photos. [Edit: Picnik is no more - see below for a new recommendation].

The maximum size for upload is 600 by 600 pixels and 200Kb per image. This may not seem generous if you have a 12 mega-pixel camera, but this is a sensible limit that means that the images will fit on most displays and are small enough to be accessed by the many people in the Creuse that don't have broadband.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Photo Manipulation
by smilespwp • Tue 15 Feb 2011 10:24

Here's one to look at Dave.

Shrink Pic

Automatically shrinks the size of any image being sent by email or uploaded from your PC. A friend of mine who mails out loads of images swears by it. Free and legal usage.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Dave • Fri 15 Jul 2011 11:13

That's an interesting idea. It would make uploading large images to Pont Noir much easier, so long as you can tell it the maximum size and dimensions (200K and 600 by 600 pixels). Could be very handy.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by smilespwp • Fri 15 Jul 2011 13:30

Just had a brief look at it and you can define the global pixel size H & W and also 3 sizes of compression.

It really does work in the background, useful for emailed images.

Best regards

Brian
smilespwp
Apr 2007
by Lynn • Fri 15 Jul 2011 15:00

That sounds brilliant especially as we have satellite internet and it takes ages to send a photo out.
Thanks a lot.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Dave • Fri 10 Jan 2014 10:40

As Picknic is no more I thought that I would update my recommended online image editor.

Pixlr is a fantastic free on-line image editor. So good it's comparable to a fully installed application. I really recommend it, both for the full editor and for the simpler express version. Both of these are great for resizing, cropping and otherwise editing your images before uploading to Pont Noir (800 by 600 and 256Kb is the current maximum size).

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by RobertArthur • Fri 10 Jan 2014 11:12

Another item on my to-do list: try pixir. I've been using the German website picr.defor many years now, never let me down. Almost self explaining: upload pictures (or pdf files) from your own harddisk by clicking upload: "Klicke hier für Bildauswahl und sofortigen upload". Copy/paste the urls in your message, that's all. It does the format changes by offering you the following outputs: 100 / 160 / 320 / 480 / 600 / 700 / 800 / 1024 and 1280 pixels in jpg. And you can upload your pdf files as well, see this example. You don't have to be fluent in German, the screen options are (almost) self explaining. Very simple, no editing options, only a resizing instrument and your photo somewhere in the cloud. For finetuning, the perfect fit on your own website, I also prefer simplicity: a nice little tool by the name of PIXresizer, a free download on the internet.

Regards,

Robert

RobertArthur
Mar 2009
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions