Linking to Other Sites
by ihusker • Sat 23 May 2009 01:21

I've noticed that some of the cleverer pontnoirers can give a link to an interesting site which comes up in blue and you just have to double click on the link and you are connected to it. I have found an interesting site which I would like to share but I don't know to make it available. I wonder if you could reveal the mystery. thanks, Ian

ihusker
Feb 2006
Re: linking to other sites
by lestroisours • Sat 23 May 2009 08:04

Using your mouse pointer, click and hold down the left mouse button and drag the pointer over the link you wish to obtain. Let go of the mouse button at this point, and the link should all be highlighted. Using the keyboard, hold down control (ctrl) and push the "c" key once. This is the "copy function". If you are using Microsoft 7, 8 or Safari, select another tab with your mouse, and open Pont Noir. Select your page, item and subject etc. Go to the text of your message and holding down "ctrl" again, briefly touch the "v" key. This is the paste function.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Dave • Sat 23 May 2009 09:53

Instead of just pasting in the link like that it is better and preferred that you use the URL button which you will find above the box you type your message.

This is because it allows people to find the link with search and won't look so bad in the text especially for long links which will be truncated.

Just write your message including the link, and then highlight the word you want to link by double clicking it (or a series of words by click and drag). Now you just click on the button. A box will appear into which you paste your link. Then click OK. If you don't highlight a word first, after you click OK it will ask you to enter some text to describe the link.

BTW you only need to single click the link for it to open.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by lestroisours • Sat 23 May 2009 14:01

Thanks Dave,

Much tidier that way!

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by ihusker • Sat 23 May 2009 18:19

Sorry I must be a bit thick. I've tried Dave's method half a dozen times and it all seems to be ok but I still get the full url in the message and not in blue. What am I doing wrong

ihusker
Feb 2006
by Dave • Sat 23 May 2009 18:59

You missed off the http:// bit from the url. I've edited your link and I think it is what you wanted. Take a look and see how it looks and let me know if it's not clear and I will try to post another example.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: Linking to Other Sites
by ihusker • Sun 24 May 2009 00:12

Thanks for your help Lestroisours and Dave. The link I was trying to put on was for the particular book " Handy Farm Devices and How to Make Them." I posted a further reply pointing to the particular book, but I think giving the complete index should keep people busy for quite a while trolling through them. When you press the "url" box, the "http:// bit comes up in blue already so I didn't think I needed to put it in again, or am I still missing something.
thanks again, Ian

ihusker
Feb 2006
Re: Linking to Other Sites
by Dave • Sun 24 May 2009 10:29

You don't have to put it in twice, but it as it is highlighted it will be overwritten when you paste in your link. It's there to remind you to include it and it is best to copy the whole link from your address bar and just paste it all in.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions