Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Re: Why can some people advertise and others can't?
by Dave • Tue 17 Feb 2009 13:48
Since it is less than a week since you talked of somebody moderating it
I have made a policy change. That has nothing to do with moderating the forum and should anyone be interested I am still open to it. I welcome constructive discussion and encourage more member participation in the site.

I think you are right that most members don't really care one way or the other about advertising but a small number do care (and have opposing views) and inevitably this can only be sorted out by annoying some of them - in this case you and I are both among them. I hope that the irony of this is not lost on you.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by blaudeix • Fri 20 Feb 2009 22:26
and encourage more member participation in the site.
The situation is rather like the world economy at the present - it needs some stimulation.
World economy is beyond me, member participation is a bit easier :?

Take the situation of someone asking about their plumbing & that their left hand giggle pin has laughed its way out, a plumber obviously knows that you don't tell it jokes and you hit it with a hammer and it'll never laugh its way out again.
Why should a bloke from bodge it & scarper plumbing inc. bother to give his opinion? what's in it for him? Sure amongst the replies somebody might give the right answer but it's amongst all the "well I've heard that ..." A company signature ads credence to a reply & ads a subliminal er, ad.

But then we're dealing with a dictatorship here :lol:
Minimum size for a septic tank (fosse septique) is 3000 litres. All installations must conform to DTU64.1 The S.P.A.N.C. technician will verify this. A principle piece is a room without water larger than 7 metres square.
blaudeix
Nov 2006
by scottie • Sat 21 Feb 2009 09:36
Blaudeix

If you are so unhappy with the running of this site, as you appear to be, why don't you just cancel your membership??
scottie
Mar 2007
by Annik • Sat 21 Feb 2009 11:55
I think it's a shame that people are getting all hot under the collar over this. I can see both sides, but surely if members state clearly on their profile what their profession or expertise is, someone receiving their advice on a topic can simply click on "profile" and see what the provenance of the advice is. And we old-handers tend to know by now what other members do, anyway.

Just a thought.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Dave • Tue 24 Feb 2009 13:19
Why shoould a bloke from bodge it & scarper plumbing inc. bother to give his opinion? what's in it for him?
Perhaps true altruism is too lofty a goal, however I feel that there is something more to life than a series of advertising opportunities. Plumber Bodge may not feel forum participation on PN worthwhile if each and every post isn't drumming up business, but I suggest that he is missing out. Participation in a community can be quite rewarding especially for those fortunate enough to have the experience and skills to aid others in that community. However mundane the task, I've found that in helping someone you often enrich yourself.

People visit PN for a variety of reasons. Some seeking advice and guidance and some may be looking for recommendations for tradesmen. Who would they choose from the directory? The chap that offers helpful and useful advice in the forums or the chap who thinks the site nonsense and takes every opportunity to bleat about his lot? There is more to advertising yourself than a link under your posts.
Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions