Auberge du Moulin de Freteix (near Betete)
by Suzanne • Tue 17 Jul 2018 09:44

Just wanted to recommend a restaurant we tried on our last visit to the Creuse. The Auberge du Moulin de Freteix (near Betete) is well off the beaten path, down its own track in fact en route to the village of Freteix. It is a lovely little auberge, set in a secluded wooded valley, with a building with a working mill wheel and mill race behind it. We visited at lunchtime and you enter the main building through the long stream-side veranda. At 12:15 we were the only ones there, but several other families and local workmen arrived for lunch around 1pm. There is no 'carte' but instead a menu which the owner/manager/waitress/cook (she seemed to do everything) tells you of the 2 choices on each course when you sit down. The quality of the meal was excellent (14 euros each) and we had a wander afterwards to watch the mill wheel and listen to the river. A lovely way to spend a relaxed lunchtime - I would thoroughly recommend it.

Auberge du Moulin de Freteix
1 Freteix, 23270 BETETE
Tél. : 05 44 30 12 27

Shut on Mondays and Wednesday evenings. Probably best to phone and book.

Suzanne
Sep 2004
Re: Auberge du Moulin de Freteix (near Betete)
by rictel • Fri 20 Jul 2018 09:20

Thanks for that Suzanne, we'll give it a try.

rictel
Dec 2007
by Creusebear • Wed 25 Jul 2018 11:09

Thanks for the recommendation Suzanne. It looks lovely! We will definitely be trying it out.

Creusebear
May 2007
by charlie • Sun 29 Jul 2018 18:06

From your description it sounds like the restaurant we visited about 12 to 15 years ago. It was run by a family and it was a very lovely experience for us and our friends. We were told later that it had closed so we are very pleased it is still operating. Do you know if it is open for evening meals?
Thanks for the information.
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Ricardo • Sat 04 Aug 2018 20:16

I am pleased to hear that the restaurant is so good. We haven't been for a few years as it frequently changed hands and, on occasions, has been closed when we turned up for a meal. On this recommendation, we will try again within the next few weeks.

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by Suzanne • Wed 08 Aug 2018 10:54

I did ask the owner/manageress about booking for evening meals, and she was reluctant to book us in just for two people ( I guess it's not worth her while). She talked me in to the lunchtime booking instead. As it's now the busy season perhaps you'd have more luck, but I'd certainly recommend phoning her first.

Suzanne
Sep 2004
by charlie • Wed 08 Aug 2018 22:21

Thanks for the information about evening meals. We will start with lunch.

charlie
Dec 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions