Things I love in France and things I don't ... or just don't get
by Creusebear Mon 28 Aug 2017 15:05

I love: 'Le Petit Marseillais' range of soaps
I don't get: andouillette sausages (bleurgh!)

What are yours?

Attachments
Andouillette_-à_la_ficelle-_cuite_au_barbecue.jpg
Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Things I love in France and things I don't ... or just don't get
by virtdave Mon 28 Aug 2017 18:59

We were invited to dinner at some French friends' place, and were proudly served a steaming mess of andouillette. Expressing the appropriate gustatory enthusiasm was socially challenging.
Although California has some pretty credible goat cheese, nothing there compares with the variety and excellence of what's available here in France....also, the general quality of p√Ętisserie here is pretty high. Although one can find good pastry shops in major cities in the USA, Felletin, with a population about 3% that of San Francisco, has three good ones....there's nothing within three hours' drive from our place in northern Califonia that comes close.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear Sat 09 Sep 2017 11:53

You are right - the quality of the bakeries is outstanding and I love their savouries too, 'pate de pomme de terre' is a favourite.
I love the French's pride in their local food producers - you can have a serious conversation comparing the relative strengths of different bakeries in town - who has the best baguette vs who makes the best gateaux.
I love the best of the 'Plat du jour', always blows me away.
I love the fact that french windows open in and doors can be easily lifted off their hinges for painting.
I don't get Fetes de la Pomme de Terre, eating snails and how long it takes to get relatively simple bureaucratic tasks done!

Creusebear
May 2007
by sally watkins Wed 13 Sep 2017 18:53

I love the night, the quiet, the variety of birds.
I love looking into the far distance and it's still green.
I love the bread.
I love looking and finding mushrooms and fungi that I've never seen before.

I love that all sorts of people of no particular 'class' live in hamlets and villages.
I love the thought that I might see a coypu.

I love that I am made to feel welcome.

I love that the French don't shy away from protesting and really go for it when they talk about art.

I don't understand why it's so hard to find spices or anything with chilli in it.

I can't find many things to criticise yet, probably because like any new relationship I'm in the honeymoon period and in love. Give it a few years...

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions