Stop Mines 23?
by LeHobbit • Sat 20 Aug 2016 13:27

Hello all.

We are considering moving to La Creuse from Charente department (16). We have been over for visits on several occassions now and really love the area around Bourganeuf and also the area south of Aubusson. We were at the market in Felletin the other week and there was a stall with some eco activist people called Stop Mines 23 and although we didn't talk with them they had some literature about the threat of potential mining in La Creuse. I have been on their website and it appears that an exploratory license has been granted to a multinational company to carry out research? I got this information from the website of StopMines 23, but the translation to English may not be great? Seems the area under consideration covers several communes around Gouzon in the north east of the Department.

Does anyone know anything about the potential for mining activity in Creuse?

Here's a link to their website:-
http://www.stopmines23.fr/c-est-quoi/

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
Re: Stop Mines 23?
by virtdave • Sat 20 Aug 2016 15:54

I don't know anything about Stopmines23, but Creuse has indeed had significant mining activity in the past--there's even a town, Lavaveix-les-Mines, on the Guéret-Aubusson road, where coal mining was a major activity. And since there are no reliable maps of the underground tunnels, occasionally someone there steps out into their back yard and is swallowed up, never to be seen again. There are a lot of abandoned houses there, and they used to (may still) have a yearly summer festival related to the old mining. There were also uranium mines near Croze, south of Felletin...related to this, radon gas can be a problem for kids who grow up in houses made of granite; they do have a higher incidence of certain types of cancer. However, it's apparently only those kids who spend the first few years of their lives in such places...I'd not worry at all about the risk for older children or adults.....
California, where we spend winters, also has a serious mining history, mostly related to the damages caused by placer mining done to extract gold. And the long-term environmental damage from coal mining in West Virgina is notorious.....

virtdave
Sep 2008
by LeHobbit • Sun 21 Aug 2016 09:52

Thank you for the reply Virtdave. I do recall seeing the place name of Lavaveix-Les-Mines on a map of the Creuse and thinking to myself is that/was a mining place?

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by Jeanne • Sat 27 Aug 2016 16:52

Stop Mines 23 are trying to stop them re-opening mines.

They are trying to start up the ones near Gouzon, in particular the villages of Auge, Bord-Saint-Georges, Chambon-sur-Voueize, Lépaud, Lussat, Sannat and Tardes. The biggest problems being pollution of air, water etc and destruction of wildlife. They have been researching for a couple of years but there is, I think, a strong chance it will go ahead, despite the protests.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by LeHobbit • Mon 29 Aug 2016 11:23

Will be a real shame if it goes ahead. I studied for a degree in Countryside Management and it is the same old story of conflicting interests of protecting the environment and promoting economic growth. The Department is promoting Creuse as a green/eco tourist destination, yet mining flies in the face of this. They can't have both, no matter what they think. I suspect corruption is at play at a higher level.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions