Train to Paris CDG
by Freezerbill • Mon 08 Aug 2016 22:46

Hi

I am considering booking a train from La Souterraine to Paris CDG on the last day of September however when looking at SNCF trains online it appears that it is too far in advance, can anyone help?

Does anyone have any other suggestions to get to the airport for around lunch on a Friday?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
Re: Train to Paris CDG
by Mikeovers • Fri 19 Aug 2016 12:56

You can mostly book any mainline train up to 90 days in advance of the travel date, the only exceptions are around the change to and from the winter timetables, usually mid December and mid March. Here is a link to the SNCF booking site:
http://en.voyages-sncf.com/en/

Sadly, the direct TGV service which stopped at La Souterraine and CDG ended in April, so the only way to do this is via Paris Austerlitz, - which route you then choose will depend on how much luggage you have !!

Here's a link to the timetable for 30/09/16:
http://hafas.bene-system.com/bin/query. ... 2&OK#focus
(Click "Search Connection" box in lower left)

if it isn't too much hassle, might be better to buy the ticket in advance at La Souterraine station, they are helpful and will give you good advice, and get you the cheapest ticket

Mikeovers
Nov 2004
by Freezerbill • Fri 19 Aug 2016 17:53

Thanks both for the info

Re you comment about luggage, I have noticed it says you have to walk for a connection, is it far and whats the walk like?

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave • Sat 20 Aug 2016 10:44

Though I've not done this for a few years, I doubt it's changed---the walk from the quai where the train from La Souterraine arrives to the RER C stop (from whence one takes the RER B3 to St Michel--one stop) is not difficult, and there are (or were) escalators and/or moving sidewalks. Likewise, to get to the RER B train which goes from St Michel up to CDG is straightforward--be sure you get on the correct RER B train, not all of them go to CDG, and there are two CDG stops, first at terminal 1, then at terminal 2. Once at the RER terminal in CDG, there are free navettes and trains which serve the various CDG terminals if need be. If your luggage has wheels, you're unlikely to have to struggle too much. Everything is quite well marked.
Try to avoid making any connections at rush hours if you can; though the RER B which serves CDG does have (en principe) space for luggage, it gets very crowded then.
For historical reasons, the RER C isn't run by the Paris metro folks (the RATP) but by the railroad (SNCF). This doesn't seem to pose a practical problem. You can purchase the tickets for the Austerlitz-CDG part of the trip as you enter the RER system, or perhaps when you buy your La Souterraine-Austerlitz ticket. I usually buy tickets at the the gare routière in Aubusson rather than try to buy tickets on-line, tho I've never used the station at La Souterraine for this....

virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions