Planning a visit to La Creuse for the first time
by LeHobbit • Sun 25 Oct 2015 09:42

Hello all. I posted on here a few months ago about the fact we are currently living in the Charente near Verteuil Sur Charente, but are looking to sell up and move once our renovation is finished. We are planning a trip to La Creuse to check it out as it has been recommended to us by a Brit who used to live in the north west area of La Creuse. We have never been to La Creuse, but we are planning a long weekend trip in early November. We would like to check out the area around Crozant and Fresselines. We are also planning to go to Gueret, Bourganeuf, Aubusson and to Lake Vassiviere in the south. Can anyone recommend any other areas or places we should have a look at?

We are looking for a green landscape with big hills, forests and lots of water (rivers and lakes). We have found our first summer in the Charente to be too hot and dusty. The area of the Charente we are in is also heavily agricultural (arable farming) and this does not appeal to us. I suppose we are looking for a wilder more rugged landscape (like mid Wales but without so much rain!!). We don't mind being remote and tucked away, in fact that really appeals to us.

Any thoughts?

Cheers Paul and Jackie

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
Re: Planning a visit to La Creuse for the first time.
by Freezerbill • Sun 25 Oct 2015 12:27

Depends on your budget and what you are looking for, land, outbuildings etc

This is a lovely place I am sure you will find what your looking for here

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by rictel • Sun 25 Oct 2015 16:06

As freezerbill said , the Creuse is a very beautiful place & still one of the cheapest for property with plenty of places on the market. We are in the North which has lovely countryside & plenty of rivers/lakes to enjoy but IMO maybe not as " rugged" as you are after. I regularly drive to Bourganeuf & the terrain definitely changes as you get South of Gueret with noticeably more hills & forestry. I've been told it is colder there in the winter though.

rictel
Dec 2007
by Jeanne • Sun 25 Oct 2015 17:25

I agree that the rugged landscapes can be found more towards Aubusson and Felletin, Crozant and Fresselines, and as Rictel said, the temperatures are definitely colder there in the winter and of course the snow is usually heavier.

Personally I would pass on Guéret as it is the place to do shopping, as in supermarkets, but is not a wonderful town overall. I think its quite scruffy and dull. Although the mediatheque is very good and there is a good salle for events.

But what else are you going to want? Eating out? Nights out? Shopping? Proximity to hospitals?

Good idea to look around as you are doing.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Siptea • Tue 01 Dec 2015 20:43

I love the area here and recommend it, near to Gueret is good in my opinion as there's loads of services there. But our hamlet is only 7 kms from 2 villages with services as well.

If you come to La Creuse, please let me know, I'd be happy to have you over for dinner and tell you all about life here and our struggles and triumphs.

Kind regards

Barbi

Siptea
Jul 2010
by LeHobbit • Mon 15 Aug 2016 14:35

Well we have now sold our fully renovated Charente longere and it only took two weeks from putting it on the market in June this year. We have been over to the Creuse on four occasions now and have travelled through a lot of the Department south of the main road from Limoges to Aubusson (D941). We have been up to a couple of places in the north east of the Department such as Boussac and Chambon Sur Vouieze and also to a few places north of Bourganeuf, but we are really taken with the south of the Creuse around Aubusson, Felletin and also the area between the D941 and Vassiviere.

We are still checking out parts of Auvergne and Correze, but I think Creuse will possibly be our choice in the end due to the property value it offers.

Having said that, we are quite surprised at the price of some of the properties on the market. Having just sold our fully modernised and sensitively renovated longere with barn, outbuildings and 1.6 hectares of land for €180,000, there appears to be quite a lot of non renovated places around for well above €120,000 if they have a decent amount of land?

Seems to us the prices asked are very unrealistic.

We love coming over to the Creuse and it's highlights to us how much more comfortable we feel in the landscape than we do here in the Charente. We have had another very hot summer here (35 degrees in the shade as I type) and the climate is too hot and dry for us here. We are wilting and so are our plants!! We have gone weeks without any decent rainfall and the land is parched. The nights are unbearable at the moment, last night it dropped to only 23 degrees!!

We have made some good friends, an Anglo-French couple who live a few kilometres east of Auzances on the Creuse/Puy De Dome border. They have been very helpful in finding potential houses and recommending places to check out.

Looking forward to our next trip next week to view some more properties.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by sally watkins • Tue 16 Aug 2016 00:16

We bought out house 6 months ago now, roughly in the area you are describing between Bourganeuf and Aubusson and though we are not there full time yet it has lived up to our dreams so far, quiet, gentle and friendly.

We spent 2 years looking for our house and estate agents frequently took us to see houses beyond our budget, but then we realised why, because most places were being sold for about 10/15% below the asking price. I would never have imagined putting in offers so low, particularly as they're such good value (compared to the UK) in the first place.

Good luck and I hope you find somewhere you want to be soon.

sally watkins
Jul 2015
by Siptea • Tue 16 Aug 2016 10:36

Our house was overpriced even with our lower offer. The bank had a lower appraisal so we had to come up with even more cash to cover the rest of the loan that they would not fund. There was way more work needed on the house than we originally thought, everything was neglected or messed up and needed replacing. But we loved the location so it has been worth it. We are so glad we moved here I can highly recommend it. Our neighbors leave us alone and we have space in the form of a big front yard and a field. Our philosophy was that you can always change the house but not the location.

Siptea
Jul 2010
by EU Citizen • Thu 18 Aug 2016 17:02

Our house was overpriced even with our lower offer. The bank had a lower appraisal so we had to come up with even more cash to cover the rest of the loan that they would not fund. There was way more work needed on the house than we originally thought, everything was neglected or messed up and needed replacing. But we loved the location so it has been worth it. We are so glad we moved here I can highly recommend it. Our neighbors leave us alone and we have space in the form of a big front yard and a field. Our philosophy was that you can always change the house but not the location.
Said Siptea
Totally agree with your last part were you said you can change the house but not the location/landscape. That's the main priority for us which made us choose the property to live (partial ruin, no water, electricity, toilets partially collasped floor) over other properties which were ready to move into, but compromised on the landscape.

Martin

EU Citizen
Aug 2016
by LeHobbit • Sat 20 Aug 2016 13:11

Ha, ha Martin..you are on here now!! Have you just joined Pont Noir, or have you been on here for a while?

LeHobbit.

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by LeHobbit • Sat 20 Aug 2016 13:13

Doh..just spotted your "joined date" and answered my own question!!

LeHobbit
Aug 2015
by EU Citizen • Sun 21 Aug 2016 11:50

Ha, ha Martin..you are on here now!! Have you just joined Pont Noir, or have you been on here for a while?

LeHobbit.
Said LeHobbit
Hello Mr Paul LeHobbit.

I joined after your recommendation :)

Martin

EU Citizen
Aug 2016
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions