Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Re: Moving to France at last
by virtdave • Wed 17 Dec 2014 09:08
This link seems to indicate that water service in Moutier-Malcard is provided by the mairie. The IT department in some tiny communes in rural France consists of pretty much no one, so not getting a response to an email is not unheard-of. You could try a fax, or you may find it most fruitful to call them, and if needed, getting someone fluent in French to do it for you. The numbers (landline and fax) are given on the above-linked page. Also, some small mairies have quite limited horaires, so you may have to try several times.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jay • Wed 17 Dec 2014 18:44
Thanks, i will try one more email, then have to bite the bullet and try ringing!

Jay
Jay
Dec 2014
by Jeanne • Sat 20 Dec 2014 15:02
Probably find it is done via the Mairie but the people are EBL in Guéret. Could always ask your estate agent if you had one to do you a favour and phone for you. Phones are not the easiest if you can't speak reasonable French.
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Martin • Fri 30 Jan 2015 15:48
So anyway, to quote John Cleese....

We moved in on 7th as planned although we had some removal company issues and half of our stuff didn't make it! They had to make a second trip!

Wood burner going almost 24 hours and 3 weeks later the temperature is starting to get comfortable. As for the weather, our place is a swamp! We are in process of roof repairs and new guttering so with trucks and cars and our own van coming and going we are doing a fair impression of the Somme....we put some boards down to walk from house to van, still need wellies all the time, especially the slog to the woodstore. We also have a small lake where there shouldn't be so we have been digging trenches to let some of the water run off.

We are managing to get a lot of work done internally, tiling, kitchen units built, endless plumbing, hot water tank and shower installed. Lots of little jobs as well. Hopefully get cooker running in next few days as microwave food getting boring. Slow cooker is great though.

Which leads me to the most important question so far.....a near disaster! Where can we buy fresh chillies? The intermarches don't stock them and almost all our cooking tends to include chillies!
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by Jeanne • Fri 30 Jan 2015 16:48
Where do you shop? I am sure I have seen them at Intermarché at La Châtre or Super U. I don't remember seeing them at Guéret though. I am pretty certain you could get them at Montluçon at the huge place facing Auchan whose name escapes me. Dépends on how far you want to travel for them :wink:
Jeanne
Jun 2010
by Deleted User 1427 • Fri 30 Jan 2015 18:17
The chinese supermarket sells them and all the other stuff for chinese and indian

Its called Thone Asia and is behind Conforama in Limoges. (Full address on request)

We have started to freeze chillies with great results
Deleted User 1427
by virtdave • Sat 31 Jan 2015 00:12
That's good to know--I typically arrive in Creuse with a suitcase full of Asian spices, they're very easy to get in the San Francisco area, rather more challenging in Aubusson.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by kowalczy • Sat 31 Jan 2015 10:42
The chinese supermarket sells them and all the other stuff for chinese and indian

Its called Thone Asia and is behind Conforama in Limoges. (Full address on request)

We have started to freeze chillies with great results
Whilst many people report that Thoune Asia is behind Conforama at the Cora CC at Jcn 29 of the A20, many still cannot find it. It is easier to find if one looks toward Norauto in the left hand corner when facing Cora/Conforama. Just follow the road at the left of Norauto and Thoune Asia will appear in front of you.
An even easier approach is directly from Ave de Beaubreuil. After passing under the motorway bridge, ignore the Cora turn and take the next exit to the right, just after the filling station, this will take you straight to Thoune Asia without have to fanny about in the Cora carpark.
Bon appertit.
kowalczy
Feb 2013
by Martin • Mon 09 Mar 2015 18:10
To close the chilli question......

Found some in LeClerc in Gueret, some fine examples of small hot ones!
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by Charasse23500 • Sun 12 Jul 2015 16:43
Hi all readers, we are coming over to retire ( done my 49 ) on August 3rd. We have a small longhouse in Charasse Haute ( about 3kms from Aubusson on the D23 to Felletin ). We have been "doing the place up" for the last 13 years 3 weeks at a time, now we are coming to stay.
When we are settled in we will have a housewarming garden party for our local neighbours (should be interesting as no one in the village speaks english and have made it clear that it is fo us to fit in)-good job Sheila can speak passable french as I can get by with gibberish and a smile.
I will post again when we are in and settled to invite anyone who wants to come visit.
Mike & Sheila
:lol:
Charasse23500
Oct 2014
by David_J • Wed 29 Jul 2015 15:17
Where do you shop? I am sure I have seen them at Intermarché at La Châtre or Super U. I don't remember seeing them at Guéret though. I am pretty certain you could get them at Montluçon at the huge place facing Auchan whose name escapes me. Dépends on how far you want to travel for them :wink:
C'est GRAND FRAIS. It's a fabulous place for very odd veg, all looking very fresh and many water misted. Guess what? Water misters appeared within a couple of weeks in Auchan.
GF is well worth a visit.
David_J
David_J
Aug 2006
by virtdave • Wed 29 Jul 2015 16:29
You might also try the Centre Frais,, just a bit towards the town center of Guéret from the big Carrefour. And if you want a Big Mac, not far from the McDonalds. I find the food at McDo pretty nasty, and never go to them in the USA....but I when I get homesick, about once every other year, I swing by the one in Guéret.
virtdave
Sep 2008
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions