Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Moving to France at last
by Martin • Mon 01 Sep 2014 15:34
Well after 6 years grabbing 3 or 4 weeks each year to visit our place we have sold the house in Devon, I'm just about to hand in my notice at work and we move over to France on a permanent basis probably in December.
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
Re: Moving to France at last
by rictel • Mon 01 Sep 2014 18:12
Congratulations & Welcome to Moutier Malcard ( on a permanent basis that is )
rictel
Dec 2007
by Robjelves • Mon 01 Sep 2014 20:10
I'm extremely jealous, although we have just returned from 5 weeks in France for the summer...benefit for working in a school.
May I ask are you retiring or have you other plans...it's something we would love to do but can't just yet as finances won't allow.
Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Martin • Tue 02 Sep 2014 17:20
We are semi-retiring, plan for some income from the property.
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by Martin • Tue 09 Dec 2014 09:18
At last, date fixed! 6th jan we move from UK. Shame it's middle of winter though!
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by Jay • Thu 11 Dec 2014 22:41
Well you're not going to believe this folks, but myself and my wife are moving to Moutier Malcard on the 7th January! Well, just outside in Les Forges.
We are actually just coming initially for a week to try and get the water and electric sorted, clear and clean the house and tame the garden! Not much then.
The house as it is is not habitable, so we'll be renovating it over the next year. We intend to live in it full time during late autumn to early spring, as the rest of the year I work in the uk.
Will be good to catch up with some local folks!

Jason and Alison
Jay
Dec 2014
by rictel • Fri 12 Dec 2014 20:51
Wow a sudden influx !! I know Les Forges, it's about 1km up the road from us. Congratulations hope everything goes well.
rictel
Dec 2007
by Jay • Sat 13 Dec 2014 13:19
Thanks! I may need to pick your brains for some local info at some stage if you don't mind.

Jason
Jay
Dec 2014
by rictel • Sat 13 Dec 2014 16:29
Thanks! I may need to pick your brains for some local info at some stage if you don't mind.

Jason
Happy to help, & you can always send a PM . Is it no4 that you have bought as I noticed that the for sale sign has gone ?

Richard
rictel
Dec 2007
by Jay • Sat 13 Dec 2014 17:55
Yep, thats the one!
Jay
Dec 2014
by Robjelves • Sun 14 Dec 2014 19:22
Most envious.. Hope all works out. Our place was habitable from the start although I am now converting some disused space to create a master bedroom. Not sure where you are in relation to us but maybe we could meet up some time in the future?
Keep us posted on the progress and maybe some pictures always love reading about other people's experiences.
Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Annik • Mon 15 Dec 2014 01:18
With memories of being in an utterly unmodernised house in January some 20 years ago, just let me remind you that the Creuse can get awfully cold and lovely old granite walls store the cold for a very long time. Do make sure you've got some form of heating, even if it's only a portable calor gas fire, and wrap up warm.

Lighting a log fire – if you can – might look attractive but it only raises the temperature of the room by a fraction. All the heat goes up the chimney!

If I remember rightly, our kitchen didn't reach much higher than 2 degrees Centigrade for several days in 1994-5. A couple of years later at New Year it was so cold that the interior of the fridge was warmer than the kitchen, it stopped working, the food went off (but we didn't notice until too late) and on top of being frozen, and having frozen water pipes, we got food poisoning... Happy days!

We wish you the best of luck and much happiness in your house. Buying ours was a wonderful, life-enhancing decision and we hope it will be for you, too.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by virtdave • Mon 15 Dec 2014 05:09
an electric blanket can be pretty nice when it gets really frigid--we've brought some from the USA (transformer needed)--you might find them cheaper/better in the UK than in France--voltage the same, different plug/adapter.
virtdave
Sep 2008
by Jay • Mon 15 Dec 2014 13:34
Thanks all for your comments! We are not intending living in it until renovated, though we may 'camp out' in it during the warmer months. It has some rudimentary electrics which we are having made safe, and mains water, but nothing else. No heating, no drainage, toilet bathroom, hot water or kitchen!
we are using a firm called pink electrique for the electrics, who are local (ish) and seem to have a good name. We are, however looking for someone to assisst in installing a septic tank (on a miniscule budget!) So if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great.
i emailed the mairie for some advice on who supplies the water for the commune, together with questions regarding rubbish collection, taxes etc etc. I believe the secretary doesn't speak english, so i used my best google translate skills, but have not had a reply in over a week. Is this usual?
keep the advice and comments coming folks, its all greatly appreciated.

Jay
Jay
Dec 2014
by Martin • Mon 15 Dec 2014 15:41
Hi Jay,

We are in Le Montaureux, not far from you. Bought 6 years ago and camped inside for most of the time, first major thing we had done was the fosse. We had Russell Waite do this and he did a great job for us. (RSW Enterprises, more details if you need). We are still less than glamorous as we only had 3 or 4 week long trips each year and have done most of work ourselves so slow going. We have a lot to do when we move in!
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by sevy1 • Mon 15 Dec 2014 17:38
Hi Jay
We used La coterie for our Fosse they did an excellent job and are based in the Creuse website LCE23.com.
You will also find them in the free newspaper Bugle every month. Contact me for more info and photos if needed.
Sevy
sevy1
Sep 2013
by Martin • Mon 15 Dec 2014 17:55
We have also used La Coterie for some work and they are planned to do some more for us soon.
Martin & Roberta
Martin
Jun 2009
by rictel • Mon 15 Dec 2014 20:28
We went through les Forges yesterday & , rest assured, No 4 is still standing :lol: I think you'll have some good neighbours there as they are always ready with a smile & a wave when driving through, but it certainly sounds like you have some work to do !!. I take it you aren't sleeping there in January ?. With regards to the Mairie TBH I've always found the secretary not very helpful on the odd occasion I've had to go there, also as google translate is not perfect it does not surprise me you've had no reply yet. Not sure if a " miniscule budget" fosse exists anymore as they all have to be up to French spec' now. As Martin said, Russell Waite has been going several years & has a good reputation , although not particularly local. It is always a good idea to get 2 or 3 quotes for whatever you are having done. In an effort not to "hi-jack" Martin's original posting I will send you a private message with local contacts & maybe help with some of your questions.

Best Richard
rictel
Dec 2007
by Robjelves • Tue 16 Dec 2014 08:59
We had Pink Electric do some work in our house over the summer, nice guys and do a good job for a good price. I admire you for taking on such a task. We looked at loads of properties but in the end decided that because we would only be over during school holidays we needed something more habitable.
Robjelves
Dec 2013
by Jay • Tue 16 Dec 2014 23:27
Thanks all for your comments, keep them coming. I have today arranged (i think!) to open an account with edf and have their technician meet my electrician at the house when we are there in January to turn the electricity on and make a few sockets safe for power tools, lights etc. I cannot seem to get anywhere with water though. There is a mains supply with a meter, but it must be turned off in the road or something. Does anyone know who i contact to have the water put on and open an account? We need it on for when we get there in January. I have tried emailing the mairie, but not had a reply.

Jay
Jay
Dec 2014
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions