Pont Noir

Live Life in Creuse

Boating regulations
by beetle • Wed 13 Jun 2012 21:00
We are considering taking a Mirror sailing dingy with us this year to use on the lake at Eguzon.
Now I think I have got this right or maybe not?
Boats under 5 meters (ours 12ft) do not have to be registered (UK or FR) prior to use in France.
Engines under 10hp (ours 4hp) do not require the user to have a certificate of competence.
Car insurance must cover trailer towing!
True or false?
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
Re: Boating regulations
by lestroisours • Thu 14 Jun 2012 08:04
As the lake is in Indre, I cannpt say for local bylaws. You might like to check with the local tourist office for regulations, the site for which is easily found in google, or the club de voile Chateauroux-Eguzon. I can only answer for the lac de Vassiviere. As for most things towed, insurance is a risk, for which you pay, I would say notify your insurer prior to departure. It is only larger trailers and caravans that need to be seperately in France and then only if registered seperately with their own plates.
As for boat registration, if you have a sail number, it would be logical to enquire on arrival for local registration.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by beetle • Thu 14 Jun 2012 21:22
Thanks for those leads. I will try the club and tourist office and post the resulting advice.
Lac de Vassiviere is another possible destination for us so could you say what they require?

This is a bit of a deviation from the subject but someone told me when they moved to France and lived for year in their caravan (UK origine) the van had to be measured to ensure it complied with French reg's and due to its weight he was required to have a medical that on passing permitted him to tow in France.
He did not mention seperate registration.
It goes to show there is always something new to learn.
If you never find what you seek, you never wanted it badly enough in the first place.
beetle
Dec 2007
by lestroisours • Thu 14 Jun 2012 22:21
I've to make a visit to the camping site at Broussas over the next few days, and I will ask on your behalf, as they do the berthing permits for the Lac de Vassiviere.
When I change to a french driving licence, I found that I am required to have a medical in 2014 and every 4 years thereafter to maintain the group (E)B (towing caravans etc. and 7.5 Tonnes). Suprisingly I could in fact drive Class 1 LGV within the department, but not external. Any trailer owned by a french resident (includes caravans) exceeding 500kgs will require its own registration, but will not need a CT. Some trailers may need to be examined for compliance, and almost certainly may need a Certificate de Type. Française.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by lestroisours • Sat 16 Jun 2012 11:18
Visited the Camping le Presqu'ile at Broussas this morning 0555647898, and confirmed that if you want to take your boat on the lake on a daily basis then then is no requirement to register, as long as you remove the boat at the end of the day. There are several public slipways, the easiest one at Vauveix on the south of the lake. However if you want to place your boat on the lake, then it is only 100€ per year in any case. Just a contrat to sign and production of an insurance to cover the boat, like a "stay afloat" policy.
Christine Faillu on 0555692929 or occasionally on the number above will givie you all information. She is French, but if you ring the top number you may find Sarah who is english.
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by beetle • Sun 17 Jun 2012 14:57
Thanks very much for providing the very usefull information which I will be following up a.s.a.p

We (plus dog)look forward this year to messing about on the water as a release from the restoration project.
Sailing has never been a serious activity, just for fun. Although I must say in the past we have frightened ourselves half to death and never enjoyed a meal in the pub so much afterwards.

A few links

Lac d'Eguzon, Jeudi après-midi

Parc Naturel Millevaches - Lac de Vassivière

Campings et activités nautiques à Vassivière dans la Creuse
beetle
Dec 2007
by beetle • Wed 11 Jul 2012 23:09
Well progress so far, after a weird conversation with my car insurance provider (call center) explaining what a tow bar was, I now have an an amended car insurance schedule which lists the tow bar as a modification.
Every time I go abroad now they they need to know dates, so that a International Motor Insurance Card (Green Card) can be issued which specifies the car (A) and 'F' Trailer.
I think I now have the required vehicle paperwork.
Boat insurance done, however they require you utilise a wheel clamp when trailer is not in use or else you are not covered!
In getting this far I have been told people have picked up fines recently for moving forward at the peiage before the passenger had locked their seat belt, also those speed countdowns on the auto route exits mean business, you could be zapped by a covert speed gun, pulled over and fined.
Still working on the water reg's
beetle
Dec 2007
by Annik • Thu 12 Jul 2012 00:24
What a pain! I deal with the péage booths and when we move off I close the window, put the paperwork in our special wallet and then strap myself in, as we speed off at about 40kmph with no one else in sight.

Looks like Hollande is determined to get every sou out of everyone to finance his new regime. (And I speak as a resolute centrist "Don't Know" in political terms).

Annik
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions