Grandchildren on hols in Creuse - but how?
by Annik • Thu 27 Aug 2009 17:58

Can anyone suggest how we can get our grandchildren, aged 8 and 6 years, over to the Creuse next July for their parents to collect them en route to the family holiday in the Dordogne two or three weeks later? Our son wanted to bring them over via Ryanair, hand them over to us, then jump back on the plane and go home again, but we gather this isn't allowed (good old Ryanair...).

Would there be a solution via Eurostar or do any other airlines flying into Limoges (or any other airport not too desperately far away) let you do a quick turn-round?

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Re: Grandchildren on hols in Creuse - but how?
by lestroisours • Thu 27 Aug 2009 18:20

It has been accepted practice for airlines to accept unaccompanied minors, placing them in care of ground staff to access the aircraft, and to be met by ground staff at the other side, who then hand them over to recognised adults landside of the airport. Unless Ryanair have other reasons for not doing this, then perhaps try Flybe from Southampton who do it all the time.

When I was "working" (shall I say) at Southampton airport it happened often.

I have also known it at Heathrow and Gatwick.

That would seem a solution, yes?

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by Mikeovers • Fri 28 Aug 2009 01:29

I usually go over to England on Eurostar, and return the next day with our grandson (9). He likes trains, so do I, but it depends if your grandchildren are easily amused! It's quite a long journey for a child, so we break it up into 3 stages, Stroud to London, London to Paris & Paris to La Souterraine, that way there are the diversions of crossing London & Paris, and the day usually goes by quite quickly.
I have used the Souterraine-Lille-London route, but it's four & a quarter hours to Lille, too long for a child. I don't think Eurostar accept unaccompanied children under the age of 14, but maybe they have some chaperone service available, but I bet it wont be cheap!

Mike

Mikeovers
Nov 2004
by james419 • Fri 28 Aug 2009 07:27

We had this problem 2 years ago with our then 14 year old grandson only Air France would accept him from Manchester, he was checked in the ground staff handed him over to the cabin crew and on arrival in Paris was collected from the aircraft and brought through customs and immigration to us, I had to have my passport and the details were checked against that of the documentation that wnet with him, great service £30.00 cost

Ryanair do not offer such a service as it is a cost and at the time Flybe also refused as they like Ryanair are not geared to this kind of service.

Air France were great and our grandson was well looked after

james419
Sep 2005
by lestroisours • Fri 28 Aug 2009 08:23

I have confirmed that Ryanair do not accept unaccompanied minors, but Flybe do for a £32 charge, and subject to conditions which can be found in their webpages under children and infants.

Best of luck Annik

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.” ~ Charles Darwin
lestroisours
Oct 2007
by james419 • Fri 28 Aug 2009 12:41

Good to see that Flybe have woken up to this sector of the market

james419
Sep 2005
by thewrights • Fri 28 Aug 2009 18:35

Our neighbours' granddaughter came over from Southampton with Flybe earlier in the year, chaperoned all the way by air staff. Parents, grandparents and granddaughter all very happy with the service.

"When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hang on." - Thomas Jefferson
thewrights
Oct 2007
by Annik • Sun 30 Aug 2009 01:26

Thanks very much indeed for all your help, everyone. It looks as if our son and his wife will use to Flybe option. This is for children over 6 years old, and Emma will be six and one day on July 4th!

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions