English Language Library in Dun le Palastel
by Mikeovers • Fri 29 Aug 2008 14:22

Hi there,
I mentioned in a post recently that I was a member of the English Library in Dun le Palastel. I thought that there was already some info about it on this site, but it seems I was mistaken. So, for anyone who is interested, here's the info.

The library is run under the auspices of Entente Cordiale, an Anglo-French society in Dun le Palastel, it is open on Thursdays from 10.00am until 4.00pm, and on Saturdays from 9.30am until 1.00pm. Family Membership is just 8 Euros per year (5 Euros for members of Entente Cordiale), and you can borrow up to six books/2 videos per month. There is a huge selection of books, both fiction & non-fiction, and a wide range of videos as well.

Why not pay us a visit? Maybe combine it with a trip to the Thursday market in Dun le Palastel, we will even give you a cup of tea or coffe as well!

The Library is in Parc Benjamin Bord in Dun le Palastel. At the roundabout by the church, take the D951 in the direction of Aigurande. You will pass the Apollo cinema on your left, and just past that, on the righthand side, next to the Renault dealers, is a turning to the right, signposted "Ecole Maternelle". Turn there, and the Library is is 30 metres further on , on the right.

Here's a link to the location.

and here is the English website of Entente Codiale.

There are very few English libraries in France, so if you are a bookworm, and live somewhere near, you're in luck!

Regards, Mike

Mikeovers
Nov 2004
Re: English Language Library in Dun le Palastel
by Creusebear • Sun 31 Aug 2008 10:37

I didn't realise the EC was also responsble for the vineyard near Dun mentioned here some time ago, sounds like a thriving organisation. Are all the books in the library donated?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: English Language Library in Dun le Palastel
by Mikeovers • Wed 03 Sep 2008 00:04

Hi Creusebear,
Yes, the books are all donated, either by members, their relatives, their friends, Old uncle Tom Cobbley and All! We have also had the odd stall at various Brocantes to raise money for the shelving, and interior of the library, but we have received wonderful support from the Maire of Dun le Palastel, who has made the premises available for us, and has been very supportive of this project.

Entente Cordiale is, indeed, a thiving organisation, and as well as the vineyard and the library, we also organise various outings, day trips, and so on, and there is an Anglo-French coffee morning in the Library on the first Tuesday of each month. Over 30% of the members are French, so it's an easy way to get to speak French in a relaxed atmosphere.

Regards, Mike

Mikeovers
Nov 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions