Re: Travelling to the Creuse
by Isabel • Tue 07 Jul 2009 17:55

Just wondered if anyone has a recommendation (or warning!) for a budget hotel in Chartres?

Thanks
Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
by Chompers • Wed 08 Jul 2009 23:45

Hi Goose, sorry not been on the forum for a while (Getting ready for the arrival of baby no.2 in a few weeks time!!!!) and just read your reply, thanks.

Tell me about the grass shoting up!!!!!! every time we come out it takes a day to cut and clear the grass.

Looks like your into your cars, have you ever been to any of the track days at the Mas du Clos circuit near Aubusson?

Have now booked the crossing for September but this time we are going to get the overnight crossing to St Malo and head down to La Rochelle for a couple of nights. We will then travel cross country to the Creuse. Just wondered if any body had done this before, and if so how long did it take?

To Isabel: Have only stayed in one hotel called Chateau d'Esclimont (Just outside Chartres) It was very nice and is very well placed for access to the A10.

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Goose • Thu 09 Jul 2009 11:32

Hi Chompers,

No, the cost of booking the track is too expensive for mere mortals like us!

We had a short holiday in the La Rochelle area the year before last so came back from that direction. Hard to remember exactly how long it took now but we were surprised at how quick the return drive was.

The aquarium at La Rochelle is spectacular, albeit a bit expensive but well worth a visit - if that sort of thing interests you.

Best wishes,

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by Chompers • Thu 09 Jul 2009 23:37

Thanks for the tip on the Aquarium, I'm sure my 3 year old son will be in his element.

I am strugling to find info on the Mas du Clos circuit. Have looked at their web site but no info on pricing or events. I know that Lotus on Track are having a day there soon. Just wondered if they are running any others in the comming months?

Kind Regards

Chompers

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Goose • Fri 10 Jul 2009 07:16

Terry says that as far as he knows, it's a private track and has to be booked by clubs not individuals.

We don't know anything about their pricing other than the fact that our own club looked into it a couple of years or so ago and also our friends have organised the UK Morgan club to come down in October and were thinking of booking it for them but prices were too high to be reasonable.

Goose
Mar 2005
by Chompers • Sat 11 Jul 2009 02:26

Yep, as I thought :( Some great videos on youtube of track days at the circuit. Looks like the owner has a very nice car collection aswell. May well pop alnog just to have a look when we are over in September.

Thanks again Goose for your replies and sorry for taking the thread off topic!!!!!

Chompers
Jan 2008
by edmoraz • Sat 11 Jul 2009 14:49

We have just got back and use the Rouen route. On the way down we stop and have a few winks in the car ( take pillows it makes all the difference)once we hit the auto route after Chartres. On the way home its a different matter we always stop at Abbeville either in the Ibis or Etap and catch an early morning train. Cant wait to go back in September.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Chompers • Tue 02 Mar 2010 14:15

Hi all,

Just wondered if any more sections of the N158 bypassing Falais and Argentan had been opened up? If I remember correctly this section is due to be finished this year but not sure when.

Thanks

Chompers

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Chompers • Tue 03 Aug 2010 13:47

Hi all, just thought I would update the situation regarding the opening of the A88 Between Falais and Argentan. As I understand things this section is due to be opened on the 25th August. This will mean that the route will be Dual Carriageway all the way from the ferry at Ouistreham to Tours which will be fantastic.

Also thought I would add a bit about fuel prices. The cheapest seems to be at the Le Clerc at Tours Just off the A10 j23, 1.059 euro for Gazoil/diesel. This compares to 1.159 at Bourganeuf and 1.10 ish around Ouistreham.

Chompers
Jan 2008
by lavaufranche • Fri 05 Nov 2010 12:31

LD lines have told me that they be publishing their Timetable mid November for the Newhaven Dieppe route.

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by lavaufranche • Sun 09 Jan 2011 16:03

The family have booked a couple of return tickets for July & Sept for car and 4 adults with Norfolkline on the Dover - Dunkerque route @ £58 & £44 respectively. Whilst we have to pay more in petrol and toll costs than our preferred route Newhaven to Dieppe, we are still ahead in monetary terms even allowing for a hotel stop in Blois on our journey to 23.
LD Lines prices seem to have risen quite steeply this year. Other views welcome. I think the Norfolkline offer ends today.

lavaufranche
Nov 2006
by edmoraz • Sun 09 Jan 2011 16:08

We have used Norflok line in the past and would again, we found the boats are never crowded and always clean. The drive is a little further and the crossing a little longer than Dover/Calais but the price of the crossing and the lack of crowds well make up for this.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Lynn • Mon 10 Jan 2011 21:28

We have just booked our trip down in 2 weeks using our Tesco vouchers for the Tunnel and travelling in our small campingcar, it cost us £3, plus just under £40 worth of vouchers for a return trip. Well worth considering if you use Tesco.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by datz • Mon 10 Jan 2011 22:03

Always save them for the tunnel, its a great way to use them.

datz
Jul 2007
by edmoraz • Mon 10 Jan 2011 22:59

We do too but now they are only giving 3 times the voucher value instead of the 4.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Lynn • Mon 10 Jan 2011 23:06

This is true but it's still a good deal.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by ingm • Sat 21 Apr 2012 13:48

newhaven to dieppe is a good ferry route as you get a rest and arrive further into France. i avoid Paris and go via Rouen, Chatres and Orleans

ingm
Feb 2012
by Creusebear • Mon 30 Apr 2012 20:41

I am still dithering whether to invest in one of those toll doofers to use on the motorways. Do any of you use one? Is it useful?

Creusebear
May 2007
by Lynn • Mon 30 Apr 2012 20:59

We have been using one for about 5 years and love it. It saves so much time and they only charge you 2 euros per month for the months in which you use the device, so it's not a bad deal.
There are some new toll booths in some areas now where if you drive through at 30kph, you don't even have to stop at all, as it works while you drive through. No queues, brilliant.

Lynn
Apr 2008
by Creusebear • Mon 30 Apr 2012 21:11

That's good to know. Which brand do you use? I have heard of Confiroute, Sanef, Vinci, Liber-T, Alis.
Is any one better that another?

Creusebear
May 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions