Re: Travelling to the Creuse
by David_J • Thu 30 Oct 2008 11:02

Lynn
€1.99 per month sounds like a great deal for the autoroute tolls. Where can I find our more information?
David_J

David_J
Aug 2006
by Lynn • Thu 30 Oct 2008 11:26

We got a from from a booth on the motorway. No idea if you can find them anyhere else.
Lynn

Lynn
Apr 2008
by datz • Thu 30 Oct 2008 14:08

Basics are, you need a French Credit card for all but registering with SANEF. I joined on SANEF site (all in French ) following the instructions in English in the thread quoted above. Whoever you buy from they work on all autoroutes. With SANEF you pay your tolls plus a small fee (2 euros)for each month in which you use any tollbooths. You also have to purchase the unit (30 euros) which is refundable if you want to stop using the service. There are various options on the SANEF site. I have bought this option below.

Formule Liber-t mensuelle
Abonnement de 2,00€ TTC par mois circulé et par badge.
Dépôt de garantie, par badge, de 30,00€, restitué en fin de contrat lorsque vous rendez votre badge en bon état de fonctionnement.
Frais d'envoi : 3,00€ TTC

More Info

Hope that helps, I've found it an easy and useful tool and worth the small investment.

David

datz
Jul 2007
by kenwildon • Thu 11 Dec 2008 10:31

I know many people cringe at the thought of the Paris Peripherique but, touch wood, we've only been held up a couple of times, and then for much less than an hour. Our journey time from Calais to Chatelus Malvaleix is around 6 to 6.5 hours including a lunch break.
As long as you're not travelling on peak european holiday weekends, any accidents or breakdowns are qickly cleared, unlike in UK, and if you want to steer clear of freight traffic travel on a Sunday.
I usually reckon on getting from CDG airport to the open road south of Paris in 45 minutes. Just keep your eyes peeled for the Bordeaux signs and it's plain sailing.
And it's so much quicker and much less fraught than the M25 at any time.

kenwildon
Nov 2007
by kenwildon • Mon 19 Jan 2009 18:56

As this topic seems to have come to the fore again I thought I would update everybody regarding the tesco deals (I promise I do not have shares in the company just, what seem lately, huge shopping bills!)

My daughter put me on to the idea of taking out a tesco credit card.

Even so the next time we are out to France will be our 7th free trip and we have worked out that we have enough money off vouchers for 3-4 trips for the next 2 years even if we stopped shopping in tesco’s or using the credit card.

Gill
Said alldown
Does anyone know if Tesco Clubcard vouchers can be used against the 10 trip frequent traveller package? If so, how do we go about claiming the discount?

Many thanks

Ken

kenwildon
Nov 2007
by edmoraz • Mon 19 Jan 2009 19:31

No you cant use them on the frequent traveller package only individual trips.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by kenwildon • Tue 20 Jan 2009 00:31

Thanks Edmoraz. As I thought

kenwildon
Nov 2007
by ayerzee • Thu 12 Feb 2009 18:21

Our family has been travelling either through or to the creuse for the last 20 years and have set routes depending on how we cross the channel.At Easter we plan to visit via the ferry service to Caen, usually we head for Chartres then A10 & A20 however i wondered if anyone has tried the route to Le Mans/Tours A28 then the new A85 (can someone confirm it is open please) then pick up the A10/A20. I realise we could head cross country after Tours to Chateauroux but we will be pulling a biggish trailer so sometimes it is easier to stay on the motorways.
Anyway your help and experiences would be appreciated.

ayerzee
Sep 2007
by lestroisours • Thu 12 Feb 2009 19:37

On the occasions that we have visited the UK we have used LD Lines Le Havre, Portsmouth, Le Havre, quite handy as our families live in Hampshire or nearby. Our last visit took us From SW Creuse via Aubusson and Montlucon, and joining the A71. The ferry port to our door on the return trip was 7 hours, despite the fog (End of December, and a slight diversion to Gouzon to pick up the moggies.

Autoroute all the way Le Havre Rouen, except the N road Dreux Evreux Chatres, then Orleans etc.

lestroisours
Oct 2007
by sheldonrobbo • Sat 14 Feb 2009 18:00

Our family has been travelling either through or to the creuse for the last 20 years and have set routes depending on how we cross the channel.At Easter we plan to visit via the ferry service to Caen, usually we head for Chartres then A10 & A20 however i wondered if anyone has tried the route to Le Mans/Tours A28 then the new A85 (can someone confirm it is open please) then pick up the A10/A20. I realise we could head cross country after Tours to Chateauroux but we will be pulling a biggish trailer so sometimes it is easier to stay on the motorways.
Anyway your help and experiences would be appreciated.
Said ayerzee
HI ...the A85 is indeed open and a great time saver it is...was opened early last year and we use it regularly....we always travel Newhaven/ Dieppe and avoid rouen by using the pont de brotogne, then pick up A28 to Tours, A85 across and then A10/A20 down. Takes us around 5 hours from disembarking the ferry.

sheldon

sheldonrobbo
Oct 2008
by ayerzee • Sun 15 Feb 2009 12:44

brilliant sheldonrobbo many thanks for the recomendation i have checked it out on the map and will use it this Easter also i think i will use it in the summer when travelling via the tunnel hopefully it may save a little time.
Do you get any grief in Tours, there used to be a small fee to cross the bridge

many thanks
ayerzee

ayerzee
Sep 2007
by sheldonrobbo • Sun 15 Feb 2009 13:55

Tours can be a little busy at peak times , but its basically a motorway running through the town so never had any hold ups. Not had to pay a fee either.

sheldon

sheldonrobbo
Oct 2008
by Chompers • Tue 17 Feb 2009 00:46

Hi everybody,

Just thought I would add my 10 cents worth.

Having driven down to our place about 15 times in the last 3 years using several different routes the best route by far has been from Caen N158 to Sees, down A28 Le Mans - A28 Tours cross country on N143 to Chateauroux and down the A20.

Have also driven with heavy trailers and the cross country section was no problem.

Have to say I can't see the benefit of using the A85 from Tours. Surely longer (Maybe extra tolls)? so more expence. The run across from Tours to Chateauroux takes just over an hour and is a nice break from sitting on the motorway?

Chompers
Jan 2008
by ayerzee • Tue 17 Feb 2009 19:12

Hi Chompers

Thanks for sharing your route to the creuse, i think i did the N143 about 10 years ago, and i am sure it has been improved even more since then so i may take your advice and try it on one of our trips this year.

How long does it take you from the ferry at Caen to La Souterraine or junction 23 on the A20?

ayerzee
Sep 2007
by Chompers • Wed 18 Feb 2009 11:36

Hi Ayerzee,

A small section of dual carriageway was completed last year at the Tours end of the N143 this helps get past anything a bit slow coming of the A10.

Without a break Caen to La Souterraine can be done between 4.5 & 5 hours. A new section of dual carriageway (A88) was opened last year from N158 just south of Argentan over to Sees connecting with the A28. Eventually you will be able to drive on dual carriageway all the way from Caen to Tours which will shave around 15 minuets further off the journey :D

Tolls to pay for on this route are 13.6 euro for the A28 (payable near the A28-A10 Junction near Tours, debit cards accepted) and 20 cent for the A10 crossing La Loire & Tours (payable as you come off the A10 @ j23) Prices may be a bit more this year but not by much.

Are staying in or to the east of La Souterraine?

I Have found it quicker and quieter to come of the A20 @ j22 and on to the D912 to La Souterraine and then back on to the N145 if going further east i.e. Gueret. This is a nice quiet road to relax you into the creuse 'speed' of life.

Hope this helps, any other questions, just fireaway. :)

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Chompers • Wed 27 May 2009 12:01

Well it's time to get ready for another trip over :D
This time I'm going over to Caen on the Normandie Express (Fast Craft) it takes around 3 hours 45 mins and gets in to Caen @ 11.45am so should be down in the Creuse around 5.30pm, just wondered if anybody had done this crossing before?

When we returned back home in April it looked like work had started again on the A88 to connect the final stage between just south of Argentan & Falaise, think this is due for completion next year and will shave 15-20 mins off the current route 8)

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Chompers • Thu 11 Jun 2009 22:23

Me again :roll: well, had a great trip over on the fast craft. It left 10 mins early and got into Caen 25mins early :D the channel was like a mill pond which clearly gave the captain the all clear to open up the throttle. Trip down was easy enough but the the return was better still. Sunday has to be the best day to travel through France. Having said that, the Gendarmes know this aswell and were very busy on the N145 and A20. Ouistreham was very busy on the return due to the D-Day 65th commemoration, ended up parking on the lorry deck. Ferry left 10 mins late but picked this up during the crossing.

To sum up, can highly recommend the fast craft.

Looking forward to the next trip in September. May have to take a little longer as baby no:2 is due in the next 5 weeks!!!!!!

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Goose • Fri 19 Jun 2009 10:51

In May this year we decided to try the Chartres / Dreux / Evreux/Rouen route just to see if it had improved, rather than the N104 around the outskirts of Paris that we usually take.

There are some parts between these towns where it is still single lane traffic but much of it is now dual carriageway, which helps with the speed one can do.

What was really improved was the travel round the edge of Rouen. It was so easy going upwards just following signs for Calais - much more so than the last time we tried this route. Even coming back home on the downward route seemed more straightforward.

It probably took us 15 minutes longer than the route around Paris on the N104 but the stress levels remained very low to none. (8 hrs 15 mins against 8 hrs, allowing for the usual comfort stops). Also, it was much cheaper - we paid around 19€ less in toll charges.

We shall probably do this route in the future and if I ever had to drive to the UK on my own (heaven forbid!) I would take this route as being managable.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by Chompers • Sat 20 Jun 2009 00:32

Hi Goose, have done this route a couple of times a few years ago and never had a problem around Rouen. To be honest we only did the route because our son was only 2 months old and thought the long ferry crossing might be an issue. As we only live 10 mins from the ferry at Portsmouth, the 2.5 hours just to get the Folkstone + the 8ish hours to get to the Creuse makes highly unlikely we will travel this way again. The run from Rouen down to Chartres was enjoyable and quite fast, also made a change from sitting on a motorway.

Hope all is weel in the Creuse and looking forward to popping over for a couple of weeks in September.

Chompers
Jan 2008
by Goose • Wed 24 Jun 2009 11:09

Hi Chompers, All is well in Creuse - weather-wise it has been sunny yet cloudy with a chilly wind since Monday (22 June). It's great in the sun but then a cloud moves over and you really feel that wind - quite a surprise.
So - sun-vest with a hoody handy !!

Other than that, because of the super weather we've had on the whole this summer, the countryside has shot up and unless the verges have been trimmed it's difficult to see if another car might be coming round the bend - but what's to worry!

Life is as good as it always is here.

We'll be off to Belgium in September - the Ardennes area - to join the Moss car club from the UK for a jaunt or two.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions