Re: Travelling to the Creuse
by edmoraz • Mon 08 Dec 2014 17:41

Has anyone done the Hull zebrugger crossing. Thought we'd give it a go after Christmas after two hours stuck on 'M25 on our way home for Christmas.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by wynne • Wed 17 Dec 2014 22:53

Hi Yes did it a few years ago, good crossing with plenty to do, good food. Be prepared for a longer drive up to the ferry from the Creuse, leave plenty of time to get there and do not do what I did leave the Creuse when it was snowing and it took so much longer to get to the port. P&O where excellent they phoned me and asked whether I was going to travel with them and luckily they were encountering delays. Good luck

wynne
Feb 2014
by edmoraz • Sat 20 Dec 2014 14:24

Thanks for that Wynne it does save on the drive down England and the dreaded M25. May give it a go in the new year.

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Freezerbill • Sun 28 Feb 2016 09:07

If you are planning in advance you may want to look at the traffic as it happens.

Bison Futé

You can then see what a normal (say Tuesday) looks like throughout the day or around the time you are thinking of travelling, the site also has a prediction based on holidays weekends etc

Or look at live traffic cams in the same way.

Freezerbill
Mar 2014
by virtdave • Sun 28 Feb 2016 11:41

The politically incorrect Bison Futé is often quite helpful, both in planning a route and in real time. But unless you plan to go thru Paris between midnight and 4am, it's best to avoid it entirely.

bison-fute.jpg

Bison Futé

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear • Mon 29 Feb 2016 22:14

Our preferred route is round Paris. I couldn't do business with all the roundabouts on the Rouen Dreux route. However we do try to travel on a Sunday when the dreaded periferique is a little calmer. We rarely have delays and it works for us. We have always gone clockwise round Paris, i.e via Orly, does anyone go anti clockwise?

Creusebear
May 2007
by rictel • Tue 01 Mar 2016 20:07

We tried the anti-clockwise around Paris route early last year when going over to the UK as it looked good on the online route planners ( and probably is ). My mistake was to let the TomTom do the hard work & we found ourselves going alongside the Siene & into Paris, fortunately it was a Sunday, the sun was out & it wasn't an unpleasant drive, just loads of traffic lights & in fairness it did shave off about 45mins from our usual Rouen route, but I wouldn't want to do it mid-week.

rictel
Dec 2007
by virtdave • Wed 02 Mar 2016 05:42

Some time ago, in the early days of satnavs, we decided to spend the last evening before flying back to SFO at the Bastille Opera, where we saw an impressive La Boheme....I'd formerly been a compulsive map collector, but since the car we were to drop off at CDG had a built-in satnav, I'd become lazy. On leaving the underground parking, the satnav went kerflooey. I had a somewhat ok idea of how to navigate up to the airport hotel, but it was almost midnite when we eased thru Aulnay-sous-Bois, and I was a bit unsure--the SO said, "Why not ask those nice lads in hoodies?"--but I pressed on, and amazingly found the way. The next morning we found we had driven through the biggest riots of the decade. Always have a map.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Ricardo • Tue 08 Mar 2016 16:06

Like Rictel we also took the westerly route around Paris with all the sights. However, for us, it was also a miscalculation. We realised that the setting on the SatNav was for the shortest route rather than the quickest. It pays to check SatNav settings before embarkation.

Ricardo
Jul 2009
by virtdave • Tue 08 Mar 2016 18:43

That's one more reason to have a map, in addition to a satnav--we spend some time in mid-summer in a remote village in the Cevennes, where the roads are even narrower than in Creuse--and often on the edge of impressive canyons. We've seen two camper vans, both apparently guided by their satnavs indicating the shortest routes, come face to face on one of these tiny roads, with no hope of squeaking past each other, and having to negotiate which one is more willing to back up to a turnout, sometimes quite a ways back. The shortest route in distance can take you on a hair-raising path.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by kenwildon • Thu 14 Apr 2016 08:47

For those who haven't retried the Rouen route in the last couple of years I can still highly recommend it.
With all the road improvements it just keeps getting faster and faster, and strangely enough a little shorter too.
Journey time (Calais to Chatelus-Malvaleix) is now just 25 minutes more than the via Paris route and the distance is only about 7km more. The big difference is the toll charge, a saving of 19 euros each way.
Fuel prices at Leclerc at La Madeleine de Nonancourt are the cheapest I've found for the trip, unless anyone knows better?

kenwildon
Nov 2007
by Jeanne • Sat 19 Nov 2016 19:13

We don't go back to the UK much these days, but like many others do the Rouen route. We have stopped off sometimes and I think we might make a habit of it now because we were certainly exhausted on coming back direct last week, despite staying at the Holiday Inn Express at Folkestone, which I would thoroughly recommend. Only 4 mins from Eurotunnel and we got a blinding deal of €59 and that included a lovely large clean room and they serve buffet hot breakfast, great for starting the day off and in addition they are manned 24 hours and have a bar. After our journey from the north it was lovely to dump our overnight bag and go and chill with a drink in the bar area. Done it through Booking.com as we do most of our accommodation.

I often search on Booking.com for a chambre d'hôte about half way down and have never been disappointed. The last one we booked was about 10 mins from the main route, but after a delay, we telephoned and they gave us the code for the room and as we had wanted dinner; they left us a cold plate and half a bottle of wine in the fridge. Beautiful breakfast, friendly people and location too.

Just booked through them for a château for Saint Sylvestre, not that I needed one, only wanted somewhere to put our heads down after the festivities at St Gaultier, we usually last till around 4 or 5am, go back and crash for a few hours, then breakfast, shower and home. The place we booked last year is not open on NYE as they are out unfortunately.

Jeanne
Jun 2010
by patricksussex • Sun 18 Dec 2016 15:20

We have found what we feel is the best route - tunnel then head for Amiens then the A86 west of Paris through the new 12km tunnel and onto the A10. Tunnel costs €7 and the other tolls are a bit pricey but its quite fast.
We always come back Chartres/Rouen then up to Dieppe for the 6pm DFDS to Newhaven (if you dont know this then Newhaven is 15mins from the A27 and a further 15mins to pick up the A23/M23)

patricksussex
Dec 2013
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions