Travelling to Creuse
by Creusebear • Sun 08 Jun 2008 12:18

As a visitor rather than a permanent resident I'm always looking into money/time saving ways of getting to Creuse from Calais.
Some of the ideas I have been looking at are:
1. Collecting Tesco Cubcard points towards Euro Tunnel tickets.
2. P&O are having a sale at the moment with £25 crossings (but they appear to be very early ferries). You can also buy season tickets at a reasonable rate.
3. Using Airmiles for ferry crossings and the Eurotunnel.
4. Getting a smartbox to go through toll booths faster.
5. Going round Paris clockwise and travelling out of the rushhour.

Any top tips out there?

Creusebear
May 2007
Re: Travelling to the Creuse
by alldown • Sun 08 Jun 2008 12:41

Hi

We are just about to use our Tesco Club Card Deal vouchers for the 6th time. All it has cost us each time is the price of sending the vouchers to Euro Tunnel by special delivery.

For anybody not aware of the "deal" you use the money tickets that you receive with your loyalty card to buy vouchers for the tunnel and you receive 4 times the face value of the money off tickets in vouchers ie for every £5.00 ticket you send off you get a £20.00 voucher.

Gill

alldown
Sep 2005
by FionaFrance • Tue 10 Jun 2008 09:52

Interesting - maybe we should start shopping at Tesco.

Speedferries - who are fast and cheap anyway - sell blocks of tickets at a fixed price that you can then use up over a year or two. Not sure of the exact details as we haven't done it ourselves, but this reminds me we must look into it.

And we do use our French bank card at the card booths on all toll roads as there's always less of a queue at those.

Fiona

FionaFrance
Oct 2007
by emandem • Tue 10 Jun 2008 11:43

We use the Speedferries Flex Voucher block of 6 and it's very easy and somewhat - not vastly - cheaper. As you say they are cheap anyway, but perhaps with fuel costs increasing all the time it's a good idea as you've paid in advance.

emandem
Dec 2006
by datz • Tue 10 Jun 2008 14:59

Just another plug for Tesco's. We have used our points towards a hire car (in March) and for this Junes Eurotunnel crossing. You can make big savings on these items and you get much better value than redeeming the cash on your shopping. We also have just subscribed to the SANEF transponder service, so its straight into the Telepeage lane for us on our next visit!
David

datz
Jul 2007
by astleisg0d • Tue 10 Jun 2008 16:01

Avoid Paris by travelling down via Rouen, Dreux, Chartres and straight down motorway from Orleans. Paul.

astleisg0d
Jan 2008
by FionaFrance • Tue 10 Jun 2008 16:18

We do that too - but beware the sneaky disappearance of relevant signs around Rouen - both ourselves and our friends have gone astray at that point, but I think we've got the hang of it now :D

FionaFrance
Oct 2007
by Goose • Tue 10 Jun 2008 16:41

We take the widest ring-road around Paris and have never had hold-ups or traumas this way! Got back just over a week ago from our annual UK visit. Take the first slip road after travelling through the tunnel at the Charles de Gaulle airport heading towards Marne le Vallée and then Bordeaux. Leads onto the A104 and N104 then follow Bordeaux until it shows Orléans (A10). Good and quick route.

On the way back up, take first turn off the A20 direction of Lille and this takes you round the same route the return journey. This road is the La Francilienne by the way. Just follow Lille 'til you are on the A1, direction Arras and Calais.

I can provide proper and more detailled directions if anyone wants to PM me.

Alldown - are you coming down soon? Let us know. Shall look forward to seeing you again.

Been away for much of May and sister-in-law and hubby arrive tonight for a week.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by datz • Tue 10 Jun 2008 16:52

Its all according what time of day you are doing the Paris route. We were hitting Paris around 4pm on a Friday-horrific, so we always go via Rouen now!
David

datz
Jul 2007
by Isabel • Tue 10 Jun 2008 16:57

We usually travel via Rouen, Dreux, & Chartres. Rouen has loads of traffic lights but is a good route as long as you avoid arriving there in the rush hour! The only time we drive through Paris is in the small hours of the morning. The traffic may be less then but the road works / road closures mean that the sat nav is essential!

My husband now does something clever to link his mobile phone to the sat nav so we have advance warning to hold-ups so we can re-route. Useful in the UK especially.

I'd like to know more about the SANEF transponder service please.

Isabel
Nov 2007
by Goose • Tue 10 Jun 2008 17:00

Just noticed, I said first turning off the A20 on the way back - I meant the A10 of course, (coming from direction of Orléans).

Yes, very likely the time is important. Each way I think we get to that point around 2pm-ish.

Goose

Goose
Mar 2005
by edmoraz • Tue 10 Jun 2008 19:02

what times are the rush hour in Paris, we hit it at 8.30 pm and it was moving (but not fast) heading north but south bound it was static. We will be hitting it at 10pm on Friday hope its quieter. We did the Rouen route for years but there are too many roundabouts now and we all know the French way of getting on a round about is to close their eyes and hope for the best. 8O

edmoraz
Feb 2008
by Annik • Wed 11 Jun 2008 00:02

You should be OK at 10pm on Friday in Paris. I think it's really bad from about 5-7pm.

For several years, with the dogs, we went from the Chunnel terminus to Amiens, stayed the night and next day went via Cergy-Pontoise and then to Asnières and down through Paris along the bank of the River Seine. It's an attractive route as you can look at the river for a long way. However the novelty wore off eventually and we decided to go the Rouen way. In the past, without the dogs, we had always slept on the ferry and then gone from Le Havre to Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, etc, and either down to Chateauroux and straight down minor roads through Boussac and St Severe to Gouzon and hence Chenerailles, or to Montlucon and back along the much-feared N145 to Gouzon (etc).

I must be getting old, but the journey seems so long nowadays, as we retrace wellworn steps without much enthusiasm.

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Isabel • Wed 11 Jun 2008 00:40

Thanks for the info about the SANEF transponder service. I'm thinking about it - we don't really encounter cues at the tolls & there are always 2 adults in the car (so far!)The link from datz led to a story about people using a fishing net to pass payment at the booths. Ingenious....and amusing.Will remember that idea in case it's needed :)

We tend to have a non-stop gallop from the coast to our house in the shortest possible time, often over-night on the way there. We just want to arrive! The idea of a stop-over is less appealing to us (although we do like to pause for a couple of hours in Chartres). The related thread about stop-over recommendations is interesting but I wonder how many people do split the journey?

Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
by Annik • Wed 11 Jun 2008 14:44

With reference to stop-overs, it depends where you start from! We live in Cheshire, so it takes us many long and frustrating hours of motorway driving to travel down from Northwich to the Chunnel terminus - before we even set foot in France. We used to sleep on the Portsmouth-Le Havre ferry but we don't come that way now (considerably shorter) because we don't want to subject the dogs to a terrifying night locked in the car in the car-deck of the ship. Apart from the trauma, imagine a car full of vomit and poop!

I for one, would be very interested in people's stop-over places! We did it without stopping once and were so shattered that it took days to recover. Maybe we're old and doddery...

Best wishes

Annik

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. (Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.)" Groucho Marx
Annik
Jun 2007
by Geocam146 • Wed 11 Jun 2008 20:06

We seem to have tried every variant going over the last 4 months since we bought our house ( 4 trips so far)

By far the best crossing we have had is Newhaven to Dieppe on Transmanche - a bit rough and ready ( a truckers ferry) but if out of term time - god value ( we crossed at Easter for £67 return
We then follow the Rouen-Orleans route - driving direct thru Chartes if its Sunday as its quicker than the ring-road.

We have tried overnighters - preferring Ibis Hotels €79 for 3 - but on thw whole want to get there - so split the driving and just keep on going.

Interested in the widest ring road round Paris - will try that as the peripherique is ok Sunday morning - got thru in about 30mins but on a workday morning its a nightmare

Thanks for all the input - at least I know I'm not going totally out of my way

Tricia

Geocam146
Mar 2008
by Isabel • Wed 11 Jun 2008 20:16

I did not mean to imply criticsm of other peoples choice to make a stop over & apologise if that was the tone of the message. I hope I haven't caused offense.

We live in the Midlands & have middle sized children who are happy to watch DVD's & sleep in the car so at the moment it suits us to keep on going. As I said, I am also interested to read about stop-over recommedations in case our preference changes. I was simply wondering how many other people do as we do.

Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
by Creusebear • Wed 11 Jun 2008 20:43

On the way over we usually drive straight through taking turns at the wheel as we are so excited to get there.
On the way back we quite often stop off if time and funds allow. I think it's psychological - delaying the inevitable return to the UK hamster wheel!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Annik • Wed 11 Jun 2008 21:06

Hi Isabel

No offence taken at all! I don't like driving in France much so I don't take a turn at the wheel unless it's on a quiet bit of motorway and my OH is half-asleep. Our 1000km journey takes a long time because we have to stop to let the dogs out every two hours or so. It all depends how much time you've got. If you are working and only have a fortnight's holiday then you are more likely to try to get to the Creuse as quickly as possible. Nowadays we are usually coming for several months so an extra day or two on the total time spent travelling doesn't make any difference in the long run.

Best wishes

Annik

Annik
Jun 2007
by Isabel • Wed 11 Jun 2008 22:29

Hi Annik

I'm very envious of your lengthy stays in the Creuse! I think that my longest stay has been 10 days - although the rest of the family stay for 6 weeks in the summer. I'm really looking forward to this summer when I hope to be there for four whole weeks!! Woohoo.

Isabel

Isabel
Nov 2007
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions