Book Recommendation - La Creuse ... à pied
by Dave Thu 28 Aug 2008 17:21

Walking in the countryside is one of the joys of living in the Creuse, but the Creuse is big and in order to get the best out of your walking you will need not only a map, but a decent guide to some of the best walks.

La Creuse ... à pied (ISBN: 978-2-7514-0208-1) details 50 walks spread throughout the department. These walks vary in difficulty and length - from about an hour and 3.5km for an easy rated walk up to 7 hours and 26km for the most difficult. The walks are divided into four categories (very easy, easy, medium and hard). The timings are about right for a steady pace, taking time to appreciate the scenery, but do not include breaks, which would be vital on the longer, all days walks.

Each walk comes with a detailed map with the route marked on it, a few photographs of the main sites together with a general description of the walk. The route is broken down into 6 to 12 steps depending on the length and difficulty of the route. There are simple directions for each of the steps to help you find you way on the ground and to point out the various places of interest - buildings, wildlife and alike - some of which will be shown in drawings or sketches.

The main points for each walk are summarised clearly (altitude, start point, parking, any particular difficulty (step sections, mud and so on) and a quick listing of the main highlights on the walk and other interesting features nearby. Some circuits are also suitable for horse riders and off-road cycling and these routes are clearly marked.

Having done a few of the walks myself I am impressed with the level of detail and the easy of navigation on the ground. Sometimes the map and route are not totally clear, but when this has been a problem it has been countered in the directions for each step of the route. I have always managed to stick to the route without an issue, although a good map and compass should still be considered essential backups for all but the simplest routes. The language isn't that difficult and each route could be easily translated before setting off, should your grasp of French be too weak do this en-route.

These walks are a great way to explore areas further afield from your normal region of the Creuse and are not only good exercise, they are also informative and fun. I'm looking forward to trying a few more.

For anyone wondering which route to try first (or next), route PR 5 (Le moulin de Malval) is one of my favourites and at only 6km it isn't that hard. It takes in rivers, hills, woodland, fields and a few villages as well as the watermill and some ruins.

If you have a favourite walk from this book, please take a moment to leave a comment and let us know about your experiences.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
Re: La Creuse ... à pied
by Sallyd Sun 08 Mar 2009 02:31

I also love this book, but find some of the phrases a little difficult to understand. We given up on a couple of the walks, due to getting lost, but generally they are wonderful.
One of our favourites is the walk from Anzeme and the walk from the foret de chabriere is also lovely. We have very rarely met anyone esle doing any of the walks!

Make it happen!
Sallyd
Aug 2006
by adey Sat 13 Feb 2010 23:16

Does anyone know if there is a similar book for cycle routes in Creuse?

adey
Aug 2009
by Creusebear Sun 14 Feb 2010 00:17

I am sure I have seen a tourist map specifically showing suggested cycle rides in Creuse. Have you checked out the Office de Tourisme?

Creusebear
May 2007
by adey Sun 14 Feb 2010 17:11

Thanks Creusebear, I'll check that out next visit.

adey
Aug 2009
Re: Book Recommendation - La Creuse ... à pied
by Dave Tue 07 Nov 2017 11:18

Well after more than a decade since we did our first walk in the book, a couple of weeks ago we finally completed all 50 walks! We had a number of years off in the middle when we didn't do any and we, typically, left most of the long and most distant walks until last. Creuse is a big department and we live on the edge of it so some of these were close to 90 minutes drive away.

The walks have been very varied and mostly very enjoyable. There have been a few interesting bits, where the path didn't exist any more, and there was a river crossing without a bridge and one walk that was pretty clear that we should walk across a massive field and then off a cliff. There have been a lot of loud and angry dogs (and many happy ones) but we didn't actually get bitten despite one dogs best effort.

We met the odd local but surprisingly except once (on the shortest walk around a bird watching lake, which was rammed with folks), we've met very few other walkers. Sometimes we'd meet one or two on a 10km walk but have spent the whole day walking without meeting a single person, especially in the winter months.

We've done a couple of the walks several times throughout the year but mostly we walk in the autumn and late spring as in the winter the days are so short and in the summer it's usually too hot for me. I'd be happy to do most of them a second time and, in fact, we rated a few walks 10 out of 10 and plan to repeat those over the next year, trying to pick a different season.

Creuse is truly awesome for walking; even if you don't have this book, many of the walks in it (or others much like them) are available as individual pamphlets from your town tourist information office.

Dave
Administrator
Aug 2004
by Creusebear Sat 11 Nov 2017 14:52

Wow Dave, I am in awe of your commitment. I have the book and we have tried a couple of the shorter walks. It is a great way to see a different side to the Creuse. It would be great if you shared your top 10! I am hoping that, now we spend less time on DIY, we will be able to try a few more.

Creusebear
May 2007
by sally watkins Sat 11 Nov 2017 19:10

I've only just seen this thread. It's inspired me to get 'the book'.
Thanks

sally watkins
Jul 2015
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions