Restaurant and walk at Fresselines (23450)
by Suzanne Fri 21 Apr 2017 09:11

This Easter we've been 'profiting' from the sunshine and exploring an area of the Creuse that is new to us at Fresselines and we were so impressed by the pretty river walk and good food and warm welcome at the Bar-Restaurant Les Artistes du confluent that we went back yesterday for a second walk and meal. I wanted to recommend it simply because we enjoyed it so much !

There are 3 circular walks to choose from that start from opposite the restaurant in Fresselines (there's a map board in the little car park next to the church, and I suggest you take a photo of it before you start off to help act as a guide on the way round). The valley of the Petite Creuse is absolutely gorgeous right now with a carpet of bluebells under the river-side trees, and the 2 impressive footbridges have been re-constructed with walking tourists in mind. There are picnic benches, opportunities to paddle if you're prepared to brave the spring water temperatures and birdsong everywhere. The local tourist office has developed the shortest walk by putting up (weather-proof) information displays with examples of Clause Monet's work and quotes from the artist with interesting glass look-through panels (sorry - hard to describe them - best go and have a look for yourself!)

At the restaurant Des Artistes we booked an evening meal last week (05 55 89 00 34) which was an excellent standard, served in the salle de banquet which has a mural right around all the walls of the room, and lunch yesterday (€13.50 pp) was served in the normal restaurant room, with very generous portions for a menu du jour. According to the leaflet I picked up the new owner is called Corinne and they're open every day for lunch and dinner (but closed Sunday and Monday evenings).

Suzanne
Sep 2004
Re: Restaurant and walk at Fresselines (23450)
by charlie Fri 21 Apr 2017 16:59

Thanks Suzanne. I remember passing that area while looking for a house 16 years ago. The sight of the Petit Creuse Meeting the Creuse was very impressive. Your description of the walks and the decent restaurant gives us another spot to take our visitors this year. Please give me some idea of the cost of the meal in the evening and was it good value?
Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by virtdave Fri 21 Apr 2017 17:06

The Impressionists hung out in that area, and it's still nicely artsy. If you're there, you may also want to check out the ruins of the ancient chateau at Crozant.

virtdave
Sep 2008
by Creusebear Sat 22 Apr 2017 10:20

I love Fresselines and Crozant. In the summer ther are artist exhibitions on. In Crozant there is Lebonthierre's (sp?) studio, he does oil landscapes of the area. There is also the restored Hotel Lepinat which is now a museum to the artists who visited the area. In Fresslines in the summer that are several artist exhibiting their works. My favourite is Orlinsky who paints beautifully and vibrantly in acrylics. There is also an arts museum which I have yet to visit. The walk to the Confluence of the two Creuses is lovely too. I haven't yet tried the Auberge but have always heard good things about the food and the welcome!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Suzanne Sun 23 Apr 2017 20:54

The evening meal was excellent value for money. We tried one of the set menus which was 20 euros pp for 4 courses and I was very impressed at the standard of cooking and presentation.

Suzanne
Sep 2004
by charlie Wed 21 Jun 2017 16:19

We managed to take our guests to Fresselines on Tuesday 6th June and had a really lovely time there. The walk to the confluence was as you described and we were all very happy, especially our dog who raced in and out of the river at great speed.
The significance of the date is that the restaurant boasts that on the first Tuesday of the month they offer "tete de veau". Bad luck for me! The meal was however good value, served by a charming lady in a bright, clean restaurant. We will return sometime to sample the evening meal.
Thank you Suzanne for encouraging us to visit. Did you see the Rodin relief in the church wall?

Alistair

charlie
Dec 2004
by Suzanne Sun 25 Jun 2017 22:32

No, I missed the Rodin relief. We will just have to go back to have a look, and what a fantastic excuse (as if I really need one!) to have another meal there.

Sue.

Suzanne
Sep 2004
by Creusebear Sat 15 Jul 2017 19:11

An update. I was in Fresselines today and the Auberge is closed until July 26th. Apparently the owner has been unwell. A shame as I was gasping for a drink and there is no where else in the village, hopefully it will be back in action soon. Some nice arty places to see 'tho. Found a new path along the Creuse towards the 'confluent' which was lovely and shaded in today's heat. And you can drive till quite close from the bridge on the D44 (Pont Vivry?) coming in from the south. A lovely spot with picnic tables etc. There are warnings not to enter the river there as there are regular water releases from the dam- even though it looks very inviting!

Creusebear
May 2007
by Suzanne Thu 20 Jul 2017 07:12

Thanks for the update, I hope we'll get back there for a visit in August instead, and we'll try from the D44 side this time - good tip !

Suzanne
Sep 2004
Display topics from previous: Sort by
Your Permissions